Deer.......ARRRRGGGG..... Home & Garden

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Home & Garden

Old 08-15-2009

Default Topic: Deer.......ARRRRGGGG.....

Deer.......ARRRRGGGG.....

......Or should I blame humans for developing Quispamsis to the point that the deer have no where to go and nothing to eat????

I have spent hundreds of hours and dollars trying to beautify my yard and now it looks like a war zone. The damn deer are eating all my plants!!!

My hostas are nothing but spikey balls of stems (no leaves), my strawberry plants are nothing but runners and roots. They've even taken to eating my butterfly bush (which only consists of three twigs and is only one foot high).

My ultimate peeve though is my beautiful lily plant (wedding present) which WAS having it's most bountiful season yet in it's 5 years. There were about 18 buds....then there were 10........then 5 (one of which bloomed yesterday)....This morning my bloom was gone as well as two more buds. I'm sure that by the time I wake up tomorrow my final two buds will be gone.

Arrrrggggg!!!!! So frustrating!!!!!!

Last edited by iSJ Mod 08; 08-22-2009 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Language
Old 08-16-2009

They are, and have been over populated for a few years now. It's literally time to thin out their numbers. For their saftey and ours.
Old 08-16-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Send a message via MSN to andrea Send a message via Yahoo to andrea

put pepper in your garden,,or even better get something that makes noise when it moves...both cheap and easy
Old 08-17-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Deer

We had neighbours in Hampton who fed them every day so I could not keep any type of plants. They ate my cedars right down to sticks. Hostas, forget it. You could see at least 8 to 10 every night on my lawn.

Last edited by blackie; 08-17-2009 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 08-18-2009

try putting out antifreeze ..lol j/k
Old 08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
try putting out antifreeze ..lol j/k
As a pet owner, I'm sorry I don't see the humor of your joke!
Old 08-19-2009

Mrs Beasley, I live off the Quispamsis Road and I feel your pain. I can't have any decent plants. The other night they cleaned off all my blueberry plants then left nice piles of poo all over my garden.

I'm absolutely digusted at how our town is building up to the point they have no where else to go. I'm especially annoyed that they would call that new subdivision off of the Vincent Rd "Deer Haven".
Old 08-19-2009

It would seem that they've moved out of my area and into yours. There was a group of 9 deer around our place last year, I haven't seen that group since the spring. Still a few around though.

Not much you can do, other than make sure you're planting deer-proof plants, and if you look it up you can find some. I'm told spreading human hair around works, but haven't tried that. Unfortunately so many people plant deer edible food that the herd is heathly, and with no hunting they're just with us forever.
Old 08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila_1980 View Post
Mrs Beasley, I live off the Quispamsis Road and I feel your pain. I can't have any decent plants. The other night they cleaned off all my blueberry plants then left nice piles of poo all over my garden.

I'm absolutely digusted at how our town is building up to the point they have no where else to go. I'm especially annoyed that they would call that new subdivision off of the Vincent Rd "Deer Haven".
I know eh? I was kind of miffed at that name too!!

"Hey lets take away the last patch of woods where the deer have to live, put up a subdivision and call it Deer Haven".

Then what??? I'll have many more mornings like the one last winter....being woke up at 6:30 am scared out of my witts by three gunshots when the cop (who apparently can't shoot worth a damn!) shoots a deer at the end of my driveway because it was hit by a car. Fun!!!
Old 08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeasley View Post
Then what??? I'll have many more mornings like the one last winter....being woke up at 6:30 am scared out of my witts by three gunshots when the cop (who apparently can't shoot worth a damn!) shoots a deer at the end of my driveway because it was hit by a car. Fun!!!
Oh my goodness! That is awful!
Old 08-19-2009

Have you tried spreading Blood and Bone meal through your yard? It's supposed to be a good deterrent.
Old 08-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea View Post
put pepper in your garden,,or even better get something that makes noise when it moves...both cheap and easy
Doesn't work. Barking dogs don't even scare them!
Old 08-21-2009

Those fountains that clap every 30 seconds or so when the bucket fills and dumps. Useless!

Neighbours keep feeding them here, Grrrr!
Old 08-23-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Human urine. I posted this before but can't remember where. Old age and senility. Years ago I planted cedar trees and the deer munched them almost to extinction. I worked on a surgical floor at the time so many pts on the floor had urine bags. At the end of my shift, I'd empty the bags and collect the urine in a specimen cottle (liter size) and added a little water with it, put into a spray bottle and sprayed my cedars. It worked. The deer stayed away. You could collect your own urine. Urine is sterile so as long as you wear gloves and don't mind the smell, it isn't hard to do. Aren't you a vet tech, Mrs B.? You've handled worse things than urine.
Old 08-27-2009

Had a talk with old Follett of Follett Hdwe. He lives up around Gondola Blvd somewhere and is an avid flower gardener. He said only ONE thing works in Quispam - electric fence, and that is not 100% effective. They fear nothing (hair, urine, sprinklers, lights, noisemakers etc, etc).
I favour live trapping them and moving them to wider open spaces, say around norton. ;-)
I went to close the livingroom drapes last night and found myself face to face (6" and a screen separating) with a spikehorn buck - dunno who got the bigger start!
Speaking of cops shooting them, a friend witnessed a female SJPD officer empty her gun at point blank range at one lying in a ditch near Courtney gen station WITHOUT HITTING IT. Hint, don't close your eyes, squeeze the trigger, LOL.
Old 08-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Speaking of cops shooting them, a friend witnessed a female SJPD officer empty her gun at point blank range at one lying in a ditch near Courtney gen station WITHOUT HITTING IT. Hint, don't close your eyes, squeeze the trigger, LOL.
Know why???? They only have about 40-50 hours of weapons training at Holland College before graduating, makes a person feel real safe and protected huh????

Had a buck in my driveway yesterday morning, my son noticed it, the doe had already crossed the road. Great!!!! there will be one more to the herd next year!!! argggg!!
Old 08-27-2009

I know this is OT but now I think I feel safe that the police officers may shoot at me but chances of hitting me are slim. LOL
Old 08-28-2009

Good thing they have k9 cops to get the bad guys! lol

Too bad though we're only down to one dog and one in training!
Old 08-30-2009

LOL, I'd be more afraid of the dogs than the cops shooting me.