Transferring a child to another school?? Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 10-09-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Default Topic: Transferring a child to another school??

Transferring a child to another school??

I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for me to put my child in a school out of our area. What do I need to do?? They start next fall but do I still register them in the school they would be going if I didn't switch or try registering them in the school I would like them to go to so they can stay with this sitter?? Did anyone do this and succeed??
Old 10-10-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

It is a fight to register them into a scool that is not in your area. I have known people who have done it by giving the school an address in the area of the school they wanted them to go to
Old 10-10-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I wanted to remove my child from the school she was attending last year due to extreme bullying. It was a big fight and in the end they still wouldn't do it so I did the only thing I could do and move to another area of the city so I could put her in a different school.
Old 10-10-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Do you have a relative whose address you could use (like grandparents and such?)
Old 10-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Pop View Post
I wanted to remove my child from the school she was attending last year due to extreme bullying. It was a big fight and in the end they still wouldn't do it so I did the only thing I could do and move to another area of the city so I could put her in a different school.
I am appauled that you had to move to get your child away from bullying. I would NOT have done that! You should have gone to the media and let them know how the school district is handling it's bully problems!!

Seems funny to me, everytime someone comes up against this bullying crap, the bullied are the ones forced to move, lose education, leave school, etc. I notice in this year's agenda there is no Zero Tolerance to bullying listed in there. Now they have it is as progressive disipline if you can imagine. That's because they never did follow the zero tolerance policy they had!!

Maybe it's time us parents start fighting the school district and it's policies and how well they follow them!!!!!

Anyways, good luck with your transfer. It can be done, I have friends who have done it, but they had grandparents addresses to use, that's how they did it.

Last edited by Pumpkin; 10-10-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Old 10-10-2009

Pumpkin, I did everything I could to work with the school and the district. I had numerous meetings with the teacher, principal, district 8. I even took my pastor to one of the meetings. I tried to get her transferred and they wouldn't. In the end, I looked for a new place to move and removed her from school for the last 2 weeks. I told the principal she would have to find a way for my daughter to finish the school year at home which she did. I also did go to the media. There was a story about it on CBC radio. A reporter came and interviewed me. There was also an article on the internet about it too. Trust me since I had to go to the extreme of moving, I wanted to let other parents know that the "zero tolerance" is a joke! If you check the cbc radio website, I believe my interview is in the archives. Anyhoo, sorry to highjack this thread with this but I wanted to let heres2u know that it isn't an easy task to transfer your child. I had more than valid reasons and the district refused so I had to take drastic measures and move! Btw, my daughter is doing really well at her new school. She went to counseling all summer and is now enrolled in self-defense classes that she takes 2 times a week. And the move was more than worth it!
Old 10-10-2009

Last edited by Cherry Pop; 09-09-2010 at 05:37 PM..
Old 10-10-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Pop View Post
Pumpkin, I did everything I could to work with the school and the district. I had numerous meetings with the teacher, principal, district 8. I even took my pastor to one of the meetings. I tried to get her transferred and they wouldn't. In the end, I looked for a new place to move and removed her from school for the last 2 weeks. I told the principal she would have to find a way for my daughter to finish the school year at home which she did. I also did go to the media. There was a story about it on CBC radio. A reporter came and interviewed me. There was also an article on the internet about it too. Trust me since I had to go to the extreme of moving, I wanted to let other parents know that the "zero tolerance" is a joke! If you check the cbc radio website, I believe my interview is in the archives. Anyhoo, sorry to highjack this thread with this but I wanted to let heres2u know that it isn't an easy task to transfer your child. I had more than valid reasons and the district refused so I had to take drastic measures and move! Btw, my daughter is doing really well at her new school. She went to counseling all summer and is now enrolled in self-defense classes that she takes 2 times a week. And the move was more than worth it!
This makes me so sad.... I am having a similar situation with my daughter, but the bullying happens at home too (in the yard). The last incident she was punched in the chest hard enough to push her into a parked car. What really disgusts me is, I called the police and found out there is nothing ABSOLUTELY nothing that can be done. I was told that a child under the age of 12 can pretty much commit any crime and do whatever they want to my daughter and that they cannot charge them or the parents. Then went on to tell me, that bullying is something that should always be reported ... WHY?? nothing is ever done. What kind of "civil" society doesn't protect their young? I am so fed up. I was told by the police to move ..... so basically the ones in the wrong have all the power. I guess I will be moving as well.... an interesting note.... My daughter goes to the same school that yours did Cherrypop.

I am glad to hear your daughter is doing well now.
Old 10-10-2009

Cerulean, I would put your daughter in self-defense classes immediately! If you can't afford it, apply to pro-kids. My daughter is in taekwondo and not only did she learn to defend herself but it has taught her confidence and better self-esteem. As for schools, I would highly recommend moving so she could go to a different school. I tried very hard to work with that school and they aren't willing to work with the parents or kids who have been bullied. I really felt like I was on my own trying to fight for my daughters rights for an education free of bullying. I know it's drastic measures but it is so worth it.
Old 10-11-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

I have been thinking of moving..... one problem I have is, I am just not that familiar with the areas in Saint John. I am worried I will move to a worse area or school.

I think you are right about the self defense classes. I just never wanted to teach her to fix problems with violence, but at least classes teach them self control and when/when not to use force. Better then giving her a baseball bat ... which as terrible as it sounds... has crossed my mind.
Old 10-12-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

So it's not sounding good for me. I have no issues with the school my child would be enrolled in at least, my other child went there and never had a problem, now she is old enough to go home on her own but it's my other child that I still need a sitter for and I've had this sitter since my oldest was young so I was just hoping that I could still use her. She moved just out of our area I could look into the afterschool program, just not sure. I had put my oldest into it when she was younger just to get her with kids her age from school, but it only lasted a month. The lady that was there was always yelling at the kids and caused all kinds of problems for everyone (I found out later) but I sent her back to her original sitter once I found out that they were being yelled at all day. The lady has since been fired but I still have uneasiness sending my other child. Has anyone heard anything bad about it recently?? I think it was just this one lady who was the problem otherwise it was a good program but just wondering if anyone has their child in this program and how they like it. Thanks. and don't worry about getting off topic on this thread, doesn't bother me at all. I think it's horrible that you had to move after having your child bullied in school in order to transfer.
Old 10-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
I have been thinking of moving..... one problem I have is, I am just not that familiar with the areas in Saint John. I am worried I will move to a worse area or school.

I think you are right about the self defense classes. I just never wanted to teach her to fix problems with violence, but at least classes teach them self control and when/when not to use force. Better then giving her a baseball bat ... which as terrible as it sounds... has crossed my mind.
I don't know where you live, but there's a school in the south end, on saint James street. We live pretty much in the middle between the one up town and the one south. There was a problem with bullying with my daughter last year, (she goes to the school on Saint James Street.) I mentioned it once, and everything has been really great since. It's actually a really really great school.
Old 10-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by heres2u View Post
So it's not sounding good for me. I have no issues with the school my child would be enrolled in at least, my other child went there and never had a problem, now she is old enough to go home on her own but it's my other child that I still need a sitter for and I've had this sitter since my oldest was young so I was just hoping that I could still use her. She moved just out of our area I could look into the afterschool program, just not sure. I had put my oldest into it when she was younger just to get her with kids her age from school, but it only lasted a month. The lady that was there was always yelling at the kids and caused all kinds of problems for everyone (I found out later) but I sent her back to her original sitter once I found out that they were being yelled at all day. The lady has since been fired but I still have uneasiness sending my other child. Has anyone heard anything bad about it recently?? I think it was just this one lady who was the problem otherwise it was a good program but just wondering if anyone has their child in this program and how they like it. Thanks. and don't worry about getting off topic on this thread, doesn't bother me at all. I think it's horrible that you had to move after having your child bullied in school in order to transfer.
No you dont have to move. just research the area surrounding the school.. Pick a house number and street name.. And go on canada post's website to get the postal code.. and VOILA.. you have your address. Just give them that.. youll be good to go. You dont ever get anything of importance through the mail.. So dont worry about it. I am lying right now about my address for my daughter to attend the school she is going to.. LOL
Old 10-31-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Thanks everyone. I gave the school my sitters address.
Old 11-08-2009

^^ Did just that.

We registered the boy for the school he was suppose to go to. On the same day filled out the paper work to transfer him to the school where the sitter is ... It was that simple.
Old 11-18-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTF View Post
^^ Did just that.

We registered the boy for the school he was suppose to go to. On the same day filled out the paper work to transfer him to the school where the sitter is ... It was that simple.
I heard so many people tell me that I couldn't I didn't want to take the chance. I think it might depend on the school too for buses (so I heard) if they are too full they won't send an extra bus for a child who isn't really supposed to be in that school, but like I said that's all heresay, I just thought it easier to just give her address as opposed to worrying about finding another sitter right now. Good to know though. Thanks