H1N1 Vaccine...Please read if you were planning to go tomorrow! :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 10-31-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: H1N1 Vaccine...Please read if you were planning to go tomorrow!

H1N1 Vaccine...Please read if you were planning to go tomorrow!

The vaccines are post poned until November 3rd. Anyone who was planning to go to Millidgeville North or St John the Baptist, these clinics have been post poned! Thank goodness we checked, we were going to go in the morning!
Old 10-31-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

is it November third? ah! i am just so overwhelmed by this whole situation!
Old 11-02-2009

Oh thank goodness you said that. It prompted me to call my doc's office. My family was supposed to go on the 4th. My doc's secretary is bogged down with people to call now. Poor girl, so stressed out!!! Wish I could help her!!

Dr. Comeau's office is also NOT taking people on Wednesday Nov 4th and on as far as they know right now. There is a national shortage of the vaccine.

I give up. If I get it, I get it. I'm done stressing over it. I am sick that they have created the mass hysteria they have over this G D vaccine and all for what, to throw everyone into more panic each and every week when they come out with something new to freak us out about. All this is going to accomplish, is everyone is going to be stressed out even more than usual, people's immune systems will go down because of it, and bang, we're all gonna have it. So, personally I am done stressin over it. If I get the chance without hassel, I'll go. If not, tough.
Old 11-02-2009

I'm with you pumpkin! But like I think I mentioned on here somewhere before, ... what if you get "some" of the symptoms, and you get over it. Does your body not start to build an "immunity" to it? I mean if you get chicken pox's you may not get them again (in the blistering form) BUT...you get cold sores or shingles...is that not sort of the same thing? Everyday, there is "something" new or concerning about this dang vaccine .... too much STRESS!!
Old 11-03-2009

Even if you get the vaccine, you might still get the flu. We got it last wednesday, and just yesterday, my son came down with a fever and feeling crappy and coughing, my 9 month old daughter had a runny nose and diarrhea to the point her little private area is now RAW. Just moments ago my son vomited. There's no guarantee!!!

Guess I'm going to be spending today waiting in line at the flu clinic. How fun!!
Old 11-03-2009

My daughter is 11 and the hospital diagnosed her with the swine flu,,,now her another daughter and myself are suppose to take Tamiflu, although ive never heard of this drug.
Old 11-03-2009

They have postponed all clinics today. Well all school clinics as well..
Old 11-03-2009

Well if there is a national shortage, I don't see how anyone can have the vaccine right now. If you are scheduled to go for your shot in the next few days, I would call today and find out if it stills stands!! Mine was at my doc's office and was not listed as any that were cancelled. I called and sure enough...no deal! So check before you make the trip for nothing!!

I kinda laughed when I heard on the news that one government fella is getting ragged out for all the chaos while another is being praised for how far we've gotten with the vaccine here in NB. LOL We haven't gotten anywhere, they are just playing games with everyone. It's bull**** and I refuse to play into it anymore!!!! Not sure why anyone is being praised for their work with this, atleast in the sense of administering, there is no rhyme nor reason to any of it. No one knows what the heck they are doing, because the government and doctors don't know what they are doing! !!!UGH!!!! Praise! HA! Praise them after we've all been treated and the caos is gone!!

Mybooboo, what is tamiflu for, and why do the two that don't have the swine flu have to take it? I thought there were no antibiotics for this flu and there was nothing they could give people. I dunno Im confused. I know you said you had never heard of this drug, but can you explain at all?
Old 11-03-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

Do you call to put your name on a list, or not? I have no idea where to take my kids, or what time to go!
Old 11-03-2009

www.gnb.ca/flu

there is a list of clinics on the site but they are getting postponed faster than they are being scheduled.
Old 11-03-2009

Tamiflu is an antiviral. If taken with in the first 48 hrs of becoming sicl ( I believe) it can help stop the virus and if taken before coming sick it can help prevent the flu.
Old 11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBeasley View Post
Even if you get the vaccine, you might still get the flu. We got it last wednesday, and just yesterday, my son came down with a fever and feeling crappy and coughing, my 9 month old daughter had a runny nose and diarrhea to the point her little private area is now RAW. Just moments ago my son vomited. There's no guarantee!!!

Guess I'm going to be spending today waiting in line at the flu clinic. How fun!!
It's suppose to take about 8-10 days (up to 2 weeks) before it's effective. Even then - it only works in like 85% of people anyway. So yes, you can still get it after receiving the shot but you all likely got it (if it was swine) because your bodies weren't done "digesting" the shots yet.
Old 11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJohngirl View Post
Do you call to put your name on a list, or not? I have no idea where to take my kids, or what time to go!
No, you don't put your name on a list, keep checking the website, for a clinic close to you for children. As of now, they are postponed until the fourth, and that depends on if they get more of the Vaccine.
Old 11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoosmomma View Post
Tamiflu is an antiviral. If taken with in the first 48 hrs of becoming sicl ( I believe) it can help stop the virus and if taken before coming sick it can help prevent the flu.
Huh! Imagine that!! Cool I learned something new today!! I have never heard of it!! Thanks magoosmomma!!
Old 11-03-2009

WOW!! Found this scrolling through the older posts on 88.9. I didn't even hear of this, have any of you? Can't believe our schools are already being shut down. Might not be Saint John but it is darn close!!

Swine Flu Closes Five N.B. Schools
October 30, 2009 - 6:22 am
By: Terri Wallace News 88.9

ST. GEORGE, NB - An H1N1 flu outbreak in the St. George area has led to the closure of five schools.

The schools will be closed today, and again Monday and Tuesday because of high rates of absenteeism.

The schools closed today are Fundy High, St. George Elementary, Back Bay, Black's Harbour and Pennfield Elementary.

Department of Education spokeswoman, Valerie Kilfoil says, "The high numbers of absenteeism are having an impact on the availability of bus drivers and staff to supervise students."

Here is the link, you can read the rest of the article if you like, I only took a piece of it. http://www.news889.com/news/local/ar...0_062221_10592

Last edited by Pumpkin; 11-03-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Old 11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoosmomma View Post
You would have to continually take it.
Old 11-03-2009

I know 3 posts in a row, but I didn't want to jumble it all together. :P

So, reading the rest of that article I posted, at the very end it says,
"Hospital officials are reminding the general public if you develop influenza-like symptoms, fever, cold, sore throat, vomiting or diarrhea stay home and minimize contact with family members.
If symptoms worsen call and speak to your health care provider."

Does this mean when you start to have the symptoms, you should NOT go to the hospital or your doctor to find out if it is infact H1N1? And if it gets real bad, you can only CALL your doctor? What is calling your doctor gonna do? She can't check you out over the phone!!

If this is correct, I'm screwed if any of us get sick, my doctor is to high up on her horse, she will not speak to her patients unless they are right infront of her AT her office!!! Well atleast she won't with my family, maybe if I was well to do and lived in Rothesay, but I am not and do not.
Old 11-03-2009

The reason they don't want you going to the hospital unless severe case is because with this flu your immune system is low and you are at a huge risk of getting more sick. For instance, if you think you have the H1N1 but you are still able to live and function but just feel miserable, even if you are vomiting, it is best to stay home and get better than chance catching another form of flu and getting more sick. Most people who die, are dying because they are getting more sick from other people with different strands of flus on top of the H1N1. However if you are dehydrated, passing out, can't breathe these are severe cases and need attention quickly. Unfortunately with all the paranoia the media has caused their are people with the common cold going into the emergency rooms thinking they have the H1N1, but now they are susceptible to getting it whereas if they just stayed home for a couple days with medication and rest they would recover. Same with the H1N1, their are more people who are getting it that are getting better, but because the people who are dying are featured on news (which of course you feel for their family) they are heading straight to the hospital making them susceptible to more strains. Most people do recover with proper home care. Plenty of fluid, tylenol and lots of rest
Old 11-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Huh! Imagine that!! Cool I learned something new today!! I have never heard of it!! Thanks magoosmomma!!
We also use it quite often in the veterinary field in the treatment/prevention of parvo-virus, unfortunately it's pretty pricy stuff.
Old 11-03-2009

My youngest daughter and I are taking it because we both have asthma and i have other health issues and I havent had the vaccine yet.It took me 2 hours at the pharmacy this morning just to get the meds because we were the first people to get this prescription there.Im praying this stuff works because common colds end up putting our 6 year old in the hospital. We have our 11 year old on lockdown in her room hoping to contain this as much as possible.Wish us luck!