Costco - So what does everyone think? Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 06-14-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Costco - So what does everyone think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinna Dah View Post
I am very happy with it!! So glad I dont have to drive to Moncton now!
Yes exactly!! :-)
Old 06-15-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I just bought one of their huge salads, it had greens, apples, walnuts, cheese etc and while it was lovely, I did not like that I could not choose my own dressing packets the way you can at Sobeys. For example, it came with a balsamic vinaigrette, but I have always found for me that a "sweet" salad goes better with poppyseed, so unless I have a jar of poppyseed at home I have to suffer through balsamic. I also don't need three huge packets of dressing no matter what the size of salad, two would have done. Learning curve I guess.
Old 06-19-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

does anyone know what time they open on Sundays? It says 10 on their website, but that is for all of Canada and does not seem to be updated for Saint John. Just wondering if it is 10 or 12?
Old 06-20-2010

12-5 on Sundays
Old 06-20-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I've talked to at least 20 friends/relatives etc and they all agreed that it's a great addition to our city..

no one ever said that every item was going to be the cheapest in the city...

everyone has to be reminded that it is a warehouse store..you probably can't buy one can of soup...

however there are items there that are so much more of a bargain..for example Olive Oil..I defy you to find a better price..

Kirkland products....when our grandchildren were babies we always bought the diapers..price could not be matched..laundry detergent is very good and about half the price of equal product at Sobey's or Superstore...Same as coffee...
Old 07-12-2010

I won't "pay" to shop in a store , if they can't pass their savings on to the consumer without having a paid membership, then I for one won't shop there. Sobey's manages to give discounts on their things with a Sobeys card and the card is free.

Have never been in any Cosco and don't plan on ever going. I will keep spreading my patronage around to the regular stores ,in the hopes that I and many others will do the same to keep them in bussiness.

Costco, shmosco.!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Sobeys doesn't sell "my" tuna at 6 cans for 8.99... I have never ever seen 1. name brand 2. flaked 3. white 4. albacore tuna in 5. water (all 5 of which are my requirements) for less than $2 a can since I moved home in 2003. When they can sell it for $1.49 a can I will buy it there. When Shoppers starts selling the medicated shampoo I need for my scalp psoriasis for less than $12 for a tiny bottle, I'll buy it there. Costco sells the big bottle for 15. If Walmart sold Dr Scholls gel inserts for $9 a pair instead of $15.97, I'd buy them there. I got a two-pack for 17.97, after pricing them at Walmart. To each his own. I'm not going to stop shopping at Sobeys/Superstore, because I don't need mass quantities of perishable food nor do I have unlimited storage space for dry goods.
Old 07-13-2010

I asked one of the employees last week why they don't take any other credit cards besides AMEX and she told me it is because AMEX does not charge Costco for each transaction. So, it is cheaper for Costco and then the savings get passed along to the consumer.
Old 09-14-2010

I love it there!

Last edited by countesscurling; 10-14-2010 at 08:32 PM..