Another reason to like Costco? Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 09-14-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Another reason to like Costco?

Another reason to like Costco?

I don't know about any one else, but the school my daughter attends was visited by Costco.

Every student in grades Kindergarten to Two was given a book bag, a book, a pencil case, three pencils, three erasers, a pair of scissors, some wet ones, and I'm sure there's probably something I'm forgetting.

I thought this was very sweet of them, and the kids had a great time with the employees who went to the school to hand them out. My daughter said the man who gave her hers was very sweet
Old 09-15-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Costco gave backpacks to 2 local elementary schools this year. There are pictures on the bulletin board at the store.
Old 09-16-2010

I thought it was so sweet of them!
Old 09-17-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Not to downplay Costco, but I think it was a little insensitive to only give it to half the school. These are kids, they don't understand. I have 4 kids and if I was only to give 2 something and not the other 2 they would be upset.

I think it's great when large corporations give back to their community. If it wasn't for Irving Oil, I would be surprised to see where Saint John the Baptist would be; or Aliant and their generous contributions to Centennial.
Old 09-17-2010

I agree with you rhiley....they should have done something for the entire school not just the k-2. But, who knows what they have planned for the older grades..possibly a bakery tour or something.. One can only hope! lol
Old 09-17-2010

I don't know how I feel about it from that perspective. I didn't consider that there might be some children who would inevitably feel left out.

My daughter already had everything that they brought her, so she came home and gave her pack to her baby brother

On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about not doing something kind because you can't do it for everyone. Usually (not always, but usually) when one of my kids gets something the other doesn't, they share or are happy for each other.

I would think especially for children 8 + that they could understand. I don't think a lot of people realize how resilient children are... it might bother them for a day or two but I don't think it's something they're going to grow up and remember as a defining time in their life when they didn't get something.
Old 09-25-2010

They probably figured that giving what they had to give to the younger age groups would be the best idea because these children would have little or no existing school supplies.
I don't agree with the " it's better to give to none then some". They gave what they had to give and unfortunately they didn't have enough for every child in every school.
Old 09-25-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by countesscurling View Post
They probably figured that giving what they had to give to the younger age groups would be the best idea because these children would have little or no existing school supplies.
Not to be argumentative, but can you explain how the financial status of a parent is dependant on the age of a child with regards to younger children having less. I could see your argument if you were referring to older children because as the school years go by, it becomes more and more demanding financially, but with regards to younger children, I don't follow...
Old 09-30-2010

Honestly, I have no idea how they decided who to give to. I just think that complaining that they didn't give to everyone is getting petty. The local Costco had a certain number of supplies to distribute to local schools and they did what they could. Some people are just never satisfied.