PXE Booting :: Saint John, NB - Computers & Technology

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Computers & Technology

Old 07-26-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: PXE Booting

PXE Booting

So i have spent the last 5 days trying to get a system to be able to do a PXE boot to do a network installation. Ive tried using a win xp pc with tftpd32, which worked to a point. the client pc was able to connect using DHCP, and would allow me to use the text mode( im using the WINNER PXE program at this time) to begin the setup. It gets to the point where it asks how Im connecting to my "PXE server". Using FTP, and SMB both lead to the same failure, it just loops back to the same menu asking for the correct path, but will not accept any input path.
So I figure id just set up a pc with server 2003 and turn it into a Domain Controller and use WDS. Well after getting everything installed, and adding the DHCP controller, DHCP Server, and DNS server roles, then adding WDS through add/remove windows components list, activating the server and authorizing the scopes, and creating both the boot and install .wim's I couldnt even get an IP through DHCP on the client pc. Im going nuts trying to figure this out because I have 6 d500's at home that do not have optical drives and need to be re-installed. any help would be great!!
Old 07-26-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

make sure the bios is updated to the latest version on the d500. You may also want to look at this open source project http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/ it has worked well for me in the past.
Old 07-26-2010

its not a bios option, as i have been able to boot through PXE using the WINNER project, so the network boot is working just not finding the proper path after that, or getting an IP from DHCP using the Server 2003.
Old 07-26-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

we had issues with the d500 not properly talking to the dhcp because it was using older version of bios as soon as the latest bios was put on the d500 worked great with our imaging software. We didn't have to change anything in the bios, but the pxe booting seem to work way better.
Old 07-26-2010

okay, next question then how do you update a bios on them when there's no floppy, they wont boot from usb and the cd/dvd drive is missing lol
Old 07-26-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

if memory serves me well, i believe the bios gets updated through windows, if non of the computer have running windows then that is a very good question... i remember those d500 as being a big pain in the butt.
Old 07-27-2010

So I have that Free Ghost project up and running, man that program is slick and relatively easy to get going, installed Ubuntu, installed FOG( after some trial and error what with my limited knowledge on linux) and started my first attempt at creating and image, when I noticed my image was going to be like 40gigs. I already have a server setup for pc backups, now im just looking for one to put straight forward windows installs on, any ideas?