Anybody dieting out there? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 07-29-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Exclamation Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

it was moved to Health and wellness. well big news for me!!! i was into a size 9 now im into a size 5 !!!i still need to lose my belly tho. but i fell alot better.
Old 07-29-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

newmommy, that's absolutely fantastic!!! Congradulations. Tell us how you did it. Super job. You must be so proud of yourself!
Old 07-29-2008

Exclamation Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
newmommy, that's absolutely fantastic!!! Congratulations. Tell us how you did it. Super job. You must be so proud of yourself!

it was so hard but i cut out ALL fast food. which is super hard for me cuz i loves theses double cheese burgers at McDonald's. And i have been counting calories watching what i eat and i walk the harbour passage at least twice a day now.i find i have ALOT more energy to run and play with my 19 month old now!
Old 07-29-2008

Question Topic: Anybody dieting out there?

i had one qusetion just wondering if anyone knows. im only supposed to have 1,200 calories a day 2 be losing 2 pounds per week. i only normally eat 1 meal a day which is supper and thats around 5-530.like meat , rice or potatoes, and 2 kinds of vegies. can i use up all my calories in one meal or would i have to eat 3 times a day and split my 1,200 calories in all 3 meals?
Old 07-29-2008

If you are trying to lose weight, then you should be eating more than 1 meal a day. By only eating once a day your letting yourself get to hungry. My doc recommended 4-5 small meals, and lots of water.
Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
If you are trying to lose weight, then you should be eating more than 1 meal a day. By only eating once a day your letting yourself get to hungry. My doc recommended 4-5 small meals, and lots of water.
Honestly even when i was thin(before i had kids) i only ate one meal a day my mom used to yell at me all the time to eat. but i was also sleeping in until 2-3 in the afternoon. once i was into my 1st month 1/2 of my pregnancy i started eating 3 meals a day with snacks. my BIGGEST problem and why i gained so much weight was because everyone kept telling me i had to eat for 2 now. so i would eat 2 of everything!!! i gain almost 100 lbs for my first son.
Old 07-30-2008

newmommie, 1200 calories a day is too few sweetie. You also have to take into account your activity level. You said you walk every day plus take care of 2 small children. You could easily go up to as many as 1800 calorie diabetic diet and you will still lose weight and you won't be hungry.

I know what you are saying though. I never ate breakfast my entire life but when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes I was told I had to eat breakfast. I did for a little over a year and tried to follow the 1800 calorie diet and tried to eat all the Canada food guide but it was almost impossible. I gained weight and my diabetes was all over the place. If I could have stuck to the 1800 calorie I may have lost weight but too hard and too slow.

I calculate how many calories I need for the entire week and divide it by 6 days. That way if I have more calories on Monday than I should I don't have to beat myself up for it. Anybody dieting out there knows what beating yourself up means. Allows me more freedom. Like yesterday I ate only 645 calories. I just wasn't hungry.That leaves me a little more wiggle room for the rest of the week. Simple. I'm anxious to see what I weigh on Friday.
Old 07-30-2008

Take into account too that I need to lose well over 100 pounds so my dieting will be different than someone who needs to lose 20 or 30 pounds. I had a heart attack in May and I really NEED to lose.
Old 07-30-2008

If you only eat once per day your body is going to hate you and store fat. Your metabolism is different after having kids. You can't eat one meal that is 1200 calories a day and expect to be healthy.
Old 07-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
If you only eat once per day your body is going to hate you and store fat. Your metabolism is different after having kids. You can't eat one meal that is 1200 calories a day and expect to be healthy.

yeah true.
Old 07-30-2008

Dieting is a very personal thing. Some things that works for one will absolutely not work for someone else. My Dr. and dietition put me on a 1800 diabetic diet last year. I stayed on it for almost a year. Struggled with it non stop. The most I ever lost was 30 lbs then I started to gain again. I actually eat 800 - 1000 cal a day. I would not recommend this for anyone else but I saw my Dr. today and told her my diet and she recommended vit suppliments and she will supervise me at 2 week intervals. Not saying this will happen to you but I no longer take my diabetic medication. Again please I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS FOR ANYONE. PLEASE ASK YOUR DOCTOR. Anyone saying 1200 calories a day is too little is correct. It is. It takes that just to maintain bodily functions like breathing, digestion, heartbeats, elimination, perspiration and on and on.
Old 07-30-2008

well i think tomorrow i might make a Doctors appointment and talk to my doctor about it. Thanks
Old 07-30-2008

Let me know what he says newmommy. I always wonder what doctors think of diets. You stopped eating fast food .That help you a lot too. Now if you could find some solution to the water thing. Good luck
Old 07-31-2008

thanks.. i cant get into my doctor until the 8 of aug!!!
Old 07-31-2008

Not too bad. Only 1 week. Still doing the 1200 cal diet? Still managing to stay out of Micky D's? That must have been a tough thing if you're crazy for double cheeseburgers.
Old 07-31-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Not too bad. Only 1 week. Still doing the 1200 cal diet? Still managing to stay out of Micky D's? That must have been a tough thing if you're crazy for double cheeseburgers.

no, i haven't been still doing the 1200 cal diet. I'm just watching how much i eat and what i eat until i get to my doctors next week And i haven't been in Micky D's its so hard tho because i live on thefirst of Douglas ave(north end side) and its right there. so if im not into the mood to cook like yesterday I'm always tempted to go there and grab something for supper. but I'm cooking big good healthy meals.
Old 08-01-2008

newmommy, it is hard to avoid foods you love especially living that close and it being almost too hot to cook.

As of today I am 22 lbs lighter than I was when I started this on July 28. I am just over halfway to my goal of 40 pounds. My goal may or may not change as I reach it. We will see. Just trying to stay on track for now, but I am determined to lose the 40 lbs no matter what.

I may have lost more because since July I have been walking on a treadmill for an hour a day and using weights for 1/2 hour a day so I may have built up some muscle too and muscle weighs more than fat.

What really sucks is that I am so big to start with,you can't even see this 22 lb weight loss. Still wearing the same clothes.I'll have to lose about 60 or 70 lbs before it becomes noticeable.
Old 08-01-2008

i took my little guy to Mickey D's today for lunch and it was so hard not to order something. so i ordered a salad to go .there salads are okay not the best tho!
Old 08-01-2008

Treat yourself once in awhile. Too hard to deny yourself all of the time. Nothing to look forward to. Tonight I went to Swiss Chalet for supper.I haven't calculated the calories yet but shouldn't be too far off. I take one complete day off a week and eat whatever I want. But that's just me. p.s. If you had salad dressing on your salad you'd be surprised at how. many calories are in that.
Old 08-02-2008

My calorie count for Swiss Chalet was 1200 or so so I'm ok. If I had been way over I would have used yesterday for my day off and restarted today

Where is this thread? I have looked on health and wellness but I don't see it. How far down the page is it. It used to say it got moved but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Somebody must see it, it has over a thousand views. Perplexing!