Dog Attack in Quispamsis Pets & Animals

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Pets & Animals

Old 11-10-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Dog Attack in Quispamsis

Dog Attack in Quispamsis

Wondering if anyone has heard of a dog attack in the Gondola point area? I believe it happened last week and the dogs were supposed to be put down this week.(that has changed) I have been looking for a news report but can't find one, however it has been on the radio.
Old 11-11-2010

I found this

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/199/p...ing-destroyed/

Last edited by puppyluv; 11-11-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Old 11-11-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

dogs seized

found this on another site:

If you're a regular visitor to the site you have probably come across stories placed by visitors who as well as losing their beloved pets, have had to deal with the most awful, unfair and unjust situations which makes losing them so much worse.
Unfortunately given the nature of the site I am rarely in a position to help to save these innocent pets as it is usually already too late. But today I am writing to ask for your help with a situation where we hopefully can help.

A few days ago, Deborah Lyse Quenneville-Clairmont's two beloved dogs Emmett (above) and Bodhi dug their way under the newly installed fence of her property. They were subsequently seized and impounded after a complaint from a neighbour and due to the town having a 'zero tolerance' policy, Deborah has been told that they will both be destroyed in 8 days time.

She has not been told where her dogs have been taken or given the opportunity to see them. She has also not been given any opportunity to defend them from the allegations that have been made against them. Essentially they have just been found guilty and sentenced to death.

If you find this situation as horrifying as I do, please consider adding your voice. She has set up a petition which you can sign here:

Sign Deborah's Petition

but as we have such little time, she is also appealing to people to write to the Mayor Murray Driscoll of the Town of Quispamsis, New Brunswick and ask him to reconsider taking such drastic and irreversible action against two beloved family pets and to revise their 'zero tolerance' policy and to treat people, pets and situations on an individual basis.

Deborah writes:

"Please help us bring our dogs home. Please let the Mayor Murray Driscoll of the Town of Quispamsis, New Brunswick know that their zero tolerance law which has resulted in my two beautiful dogs being impounded and scheduled to be destroyed in just 8 days is barbaric and cruel and my dogs need to come home by writing to mayor@quispamsis.ca.

Thank you."

Please send an email of support if you can and sign the petition and if you can think of any other ways to help please do contact me.
Old 11-11-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

and this

Animal Control Officer Wants Dogs Out Of Province

Something new has cropped up concerning the two dogs that were seized in Quispamsis after a complaint from an elderly woman that one of the animals was aggressive.

The owner of the dogs, Deborah Quennville-Clairmont tells CHSJ News the town's animal control officer phoned her breeder in Ontario and offered not to euthanise the animals if she would take them back and out of the province.

She doesn't plan to agree to any such thing unless it turns out to be the only way the dogs can be saved.

Court action on the seizure won't be heard for another 4 months or so.
Old 11-11-2010

One thing that was on the CBC about this was that one of the dogs bit the old woman who made the complaint. Nobody seems to be paying much attention to this "minor" aspect. It's not just a couple of friendly pooches that dug under their fence to go play.

The dogs' owner is blowing off the bite complaint because she said that the old lady couldn't remember which of the dogs bit her and they're different colours. The "zero-tolerance" policy is of biting, not running loose. There was no mention of the number of stitches (if any), blood, or broken skin, so it's possible they WERE just playing with her but one of them used their mouth.

How bad was the bite? How scared was the lady? It's hard to say, but I seriously doubt that the dog owner mentioned to her lawyer that the dogs BIT someone and then had the lawyer tell her that there was a three strike policy before animals could be seized and therefore they were seized illegally. A three BITE policy? I don't think so.
Old 11-11-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I know I will get flamed for this comment but I will say it anyway. I love beasts, you guys all know that. I have a self confessed terror of dogs, you all know that too. Notwithsatnding this I really don't want to see these dogs put down.

Animals have no concept right or wrong. They go by instinct or by training to dictate their actions.

I think the owner should be taken to task for having dogs who are not well enough trained or socialized that they would bite someone. I think she should be paying the lady who was terrorized and bitten. Dogs are the product mostly of their upbringing with a small percentage owing to their DNA. (IMO)

I would even offer to take care of these dogs for her until she finds more permanant placement for them. I do not live in a town and there is no rule out here concerning dogs. I hate to see animals pay with their lives for owner stupidity.

In her defence she did have them in a fenced in area so therefore she was trying to contain them. I'd like to hear more from the old lady.

I love all animals but this is why I have cats. Ok that's my 2 cents worth. Flame away. LOL

Last edited by inuit; 11-12-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Old 11-11-2010

I just went back and read the dog catcher offered not to kill them if she sends them back to Ont. Am I reading this right? Can she save their lives by sending them away? Would that not be better than seeing them dead? What's wrong with this picture?
Old 11-11-2010

IF one of them bit someone is key here. Unless there's physical proof, it's only one person's word. I'd like to see a photo, but I'm far too inquisitive/ nosey.
Old 11-12-2010

By the owners own admission the dogs have been running at large on "several" occasions. It sounds to me that the ACO is well acquainted with the owner. All the flack the ACO is getting in my opinion is unwarranted. He is simply doing his job which is enforcing the by-law. The town is not at fault nor is the woman who these un-ruley, untrained and un-socialized dogs were jumping all over. Lets keep the blame where it should be kept, with the irresponsible owner.
Old 11-12-2010

I don't claim to know the story here and I don't even know what kinds of dogs these are but in my imagtination I see myself walking along the sidewalk and 2 big dogs come running at me. Believe me when I say being bitten would not be my biggest issue. I'd drop dead of a heart attack.
Old 11-12-2010

inuit, the dogs are Briards, they are a large breed herding dog. If you follow PL's link you will find some info. )))
Old 11-12-2010

As you guys might know I am completely computer illiterate. When I followed PL's link I got the petiution to save the dogs. I must have done something wrong. Thank you for the info Jilly.
Old 11-16-2010

So this was 4 days ago. Has anyone heard what has happened to the dogs. My offer still stands to care for the beasts if need be. Short term anyway.
Old 11-17-2010

There is an article in the Telegraph Journal today

This is the link: http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...rticle/1311661

I personally believe that the dogs should be returned to the owner! I would recommend that she take them to obedience school though.
Old 11-17-2010

I personally feel this woman should not have her dogs back. She has had 6 years to properly train and socialize them. How much more time and how many more incidents should she be allowed ?

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 11-17-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Old 11-17-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

No matter how well you train your animal....it's still an animal.
Old 11-17-2010

If this lady can not keep her dog's contained, then she should not have them!!! This is NOT the first time they have escaped, but hopefully it is the last! For the safety of the neighbors on that street.
PS. I am a RESPONSABLE pet owner and animal lover.
Old 11-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJohngirl View Post
No matter how well you train your animal....it's still an animal.
And if your animal bites then you should not have it!
Old 11-17-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
And if your animal bites then you should not have it!
I agree. I've been the victim of 2 dog attacks. Big reason why I don't own a dog.
Old 11-22-2010

Saw this lady on the news last night. She sure is playing the victim card. Using her health issues and children to make people feel for her. Her dog's got out and have been loose before. She is a resident of this town and should know the bylaw. They caused harm and damage to another person and that is wrong. People have a right to walk through the streets and not have to worry if someone's dog is going to jump at them.