What method of payment will Costco accept for purchases? General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 09-25-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Rogers Home Phone

Rogers Home Phone

My mother is looking to get Rogers Home Phone as Aliant is just too expensive for long distance.

Could the people that currently have it or have had it provide me with feeback?
I need the good and the bad

Thank you in advance
Old 09-25-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

i have rogers and it's been excellent for me and you can call anywhere in canada for free and not long distance charge. i had it for a year and half and i had no problems with it. i agree Aliant is too expensive and that is why i changed over.
Old 09-25-2007

Wow, I didn't know you could call to anywhere in Canada without being charged for a long distance call.

Thank you for your input poohbear68
Old 09-25-2007
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Post Topic: Rogers Home Phone

Home phone a pretty good deal

We've had it since early summer and no problems at all. Even better savings if you bundle with other rogers services.
I would advise to anyone considering the flip to get the best deal from the rogers agent, don't settle with their first savings offer - AND - Read the fine print from Rogers !!!!

I also heard the free vtech phone set deal isn't very good quality, consider the other offer of saving $$ over several months.
And give yourself enough time to disconnect the aliant line which you have to do yourself.
We picked 9 cents a minute for non-rogers customers long distance calls which we rarely make, but it's free calling to all rogers customers (land and cell).

With relationships, as with so many aspects of life, honesty is undoubtedly the best policy
Old 09-26-2007

Don't do it!!!!!!!!

Speaking from someone that has everything with rogers and hate it heres what I say
Stick to Aliant! pay the extra couple dollars a month it is worth it in the long run to save the hassle you get with rogers... They constantly overcharge.. their "free calling" is very limited... Everything in NB is local so there is no LD in NB but.. their "free anywhere" applies only to rogers customers. If they do not have rogers then you pay for the LD call.. You can get a north american LD package for 20.00 a month that would cover those calls that are not to rogers customers.Or a 9 cent a minute plan.
Aliant has same kind of plans now, calls to aliant users are free, non aliant users are 10 cent a minute i believe or they have a 20.00 a month plan. Tell your mother to call and ask them for more plans, they are always willing to offer suggestions.
Also the home phone is not really much cheaper. Aliant is 22.20 a month.(no features) rogers is 21.95 month. (no features) So aliant is only .35 cents more a month.
When we had aliant I might have had to call 3 times in 6 years for repairs or billing errors. With rogers I have had to call at least 3 times a WEEK every week for a year.
Also their "free vtech phones" are CRAP! My girlfriend has them and she cannot talk to me on those phoens, they cut in and out, cause a lot of static etc. But if she talks to a non rogers customer they work fine...
Speaking from experience I would stick to Aliant. They do bundles, and they will be getting digital cable in the whole saint john area within the next year. Hope that helps.
WAnted to add IF you do switch to rogers they will contact aliant PHONE and have it shut off and transfered but if you plan on moving cable, or internet to rogers you must do it yourself.
Also if you want to cancel rogers service you now need to give them 30 days notice.
Old 09-26-2007

I dont have it. I am sticking with Aliant home phone because the only thing I dont like about it, is that if the power goes out, you have no phone. So if you dont have a cell phone. you are phoneless untill the power comes back on.
Old 09-26-2007

re

they will even swich it over for you instead of you doing. let them do it for you.
Old 09-26-2007

Make the change...

We have EVERYTHING (well except cell phones) through Rogers...Phone, Internet & Cable....I love it....haven't had a problem in 1.5yrs...Actually there was one billing error when we moved...they had it fixed like 10minutes after I called....no hassle...they went over and above.

I love Rogers...can't say enough good things about them....I can't speak for the cell phone part....I hear that is pretty bad....but everything else is fine.

You have a set bill....which I love....every month is the same price (for the first 6months you get I think $10 off your phone ....so the bill will go up abit) but anyway our bill each month is $180...we have unlimited calling in Canada & United States....we pay it off each month (I can only assume that is why we never have an issue with billing...just guessing but could be)...I've heard people complain about billing etc...but alot of times they've also stated that they owe money from a previous bill....that may be where the issue starts.

Anyway I do agree though if the power/cable goes out you have no phone...which is kind off a drag....but it's only happened to us once in the time we've had cable....so it isn't bad....I would really recommend them.

When I had Aliant...I think my phone bill (not including internet/cable) each month was like 160....which was nuts....it was really expensive...I have no idea where they pull charges from...it seemed like you could never depend on even approximatley what your bill would be....with Rogers it's nice to know it down to almost the dollar.

Oh and no matter what company you're with I would stay away from the .9Cents/minute thing....it's just much easier to go with some sort of unlimited plan that way you will never get surprised with the bill.
Old 09-26-2007

Yak Communacations is offering long distance at 3 cents per min., Canada and US. Overseas rates are very reasonable as well. Aliant has 5 cents per min for long distance. I am with Aliant, love the service, customer service is excellent!
Old 09-26-2007

i guess before rumours get started i thought i'd correct this,

Quote:
and they will be getting digital cable in the whole saint john area within the next year.

aliant tv will definitely not be in the whole city by the end of the year or next year.

right now it is in very limited area around the air canada building in millidgeville 1km radius or so, duke st area between sydney and carmarthan, ellerdale apartments area, around fort howe apartments, and i think that is it.

edit: i just checked, the CO between fairville blvd and manawagonish (sp) blvd also has tv capacity.

Last edited by dan j; 09-26-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Old 09-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYetMom View Post
We've had it since early summer and no problems at all. Even better savings if you bundle with other rogers services.
I would advise to anyone considering the flip to get the best deal from the rogers agent, don't settle with their first savings offer - AND - Read the fine print from Rogers !!!!

I also heard the free vtech phone set deal isn't very good quality, consider the other offer of saving $$ over several months.
And give yourself enough time to disconnect the aliant line which you have to do yourself.
We picked 9 cents a minute for non-rogers customers long distance calls which we rarely make, but it's free calling to all rogers customers (land and cell).
AreWeThereYetMom,

Are you saying that it's better to call a Rogers agent to sign up and not sign up online?
What do you mean by read the fine print from Rogers?

I've had a V-Tech cordless phone before and I ended up bringing it back to the store because it was a piece of junk.

I thought you could get a 5 cents All World Plan for $1 a month with Rogers Home Phone which alows you to call anyone in Noth America anytime of the day for 5 cents a minute. I could be wrong :P
http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cabl...1GXQE3T7H6DG96

mizunderstood,

Yes it might cost $22.20 a month with Aliant but when you call outside of your calling area (ie rest of NB) you get charged long distance.
http://productsandservice.aliant.net...n=1&curbody=31

With the Rogers $21.95 a month plan it's a local call to anyone within NB, not just Rogers customers.

Thank you for all your replies!
Old 09-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinna Dah View Post
I dont have it. I am sticking with Aliant home phone because the only thing I dont like about it, is that if the power goes out, you have no phone. So if you dont have a cell phone. you are phoneless untill the power comes back on.
Chinna Dah,

You are not phoneless if there is a power outage as long as you are not using a cordless phone. The phone modem from Rogers is supplied with a battery pack that is good for up to 6 hours.

I have the 19.95 North American Long Distance Package. You can call any where's in North America (except Hawaii I believe) and it is unlimited. It is great, and I have never had any issues with it except the odd time a voice comes on when I dial out saying it is a long distance call. But I have never had it charged on my bill. I have never had a complaint as of yet, and I have had the home phone for a year.

All of New Brunswick is free long distance...but in order to make calls throughout North America, you have to have the North American Long Distance Plan.

There is also the free rogers to rogers calling for both wireless and home phone.
Old 09-26-2007

oh really? interesting, no one ever told me that before, and I had a rogers rep tell me repetatively that the phone would not work at all if there was no power.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007

Hey Dan, I have Rogers home phone. I love it. I save about $10 a month. It is free long distance anywhere in Canada, but it has to be from your Rogers home phone to another Rogers home phone or cell. It is free long distance in New Brunswick to any phone, regardless of who you are calling has as a carrier. I choose a long distance plan where it it 5 cents a minute any where in North America. 24/7. This cost $1 a month.

When I first switched it was $19.95 a month for the first 4 months, then it went to $29.95. I also get one free option, so I chose call display as my phone has a built in answering machine. Rogers did EVERYTHING for me. I had to do nothing. It was set up and switched within a half an hour.
I have all of Rogers services and love them all.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and if I have the answer, I would be glad to help.

PS I have had the service for over 1 year, no problems

Last edited by The_Dave; 09-26-2007 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: add PS
Old 09-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinna Dah View Post
This is true if you have a phone that also requires power from an outlet, but that would be the same with any company.
Old 09-26-2007

Lightbulb Topic: Rogers Home Phone

Thats ok Chinnah Dah when i signed on with Rogers phone when they first came out, the rogers technician told me you couldn't unplug the modem...i put tape over it for the longest time until i found out otherwise...lol
Old 09-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunderstood View Post
Speaking from someone that has everything with rogers and hate it heres what I say
Stick to Aliant! pay the extra couple dollars a month it is worth it in the long run to save the hassle you get with rogers... They constantly overcharge.. their "free calling" is very limited... Everything in NB is local so there is no LD in NB but.. their "free anywhere" applies only to rogers customers. If they do not have rogers then you pay for the LD call.. You can get a north american LD package for 20.00 a month that would cover those calls that are not to rogers customers.Or a 9 cent a minute plan.
Aliant has same kind of plans now, calls to aliant users are free, non aliant users are 10 cent a minute i believe or they have a 20.00 a month plan. Tell your mother to call and ask them for more plans, they are always willing to offer suggestions.
Also the home phone is not really much cheaper. Aliant is 22.20 a month.(no features) rogers is 21.95 month. (no features) So aliant is only .35 cents more a month.
When we had aliant I might have had to call 3 times in 6 years for repairs or billing errors. With rogers I have had to call at least 3 times a WEEK every week for a year.
Also their "free vtech phones" are CRAP! My girlfriend has them and she cannot talk to me on those phoens, they cut in and out, cause a lot of static etc. But if she talks to a non rogers customer they work fine...
Speaking from experience I would stick to Aliant. They do bundles, and they will be getting digital cable in the whole saint john area within the next year. Hope that helps.
WAnted to add IF you do switch to rogers they will contact aliant PHONE and have it shut off and transfered but if you plan on moving cable, or internet to rogers you must do it yourself.
Also if you want to cancel rogers service you now need to give them 30 days notice.
I have a long distance plan with Rogers. It cost $1 a month for a 5 cent a minute plan to anywhere in North America, 24/7. I also have free long distance to any Rogers home or cell phone anywhere in Canada and free long distance to anyone in New Brunswick, regardless of their carrier. The last two options are included for free in all Rogers home phone plans.

The 9 cent a minute plan you talk about, I believe it is for anywhere in the world at $20 a pop. It would not be worth it for 95 percent of people.

Giving 30 days notice would be the polite thing to do anyway, you normally do this for most other things, what is the big deal there. If you are cancelling your phone, I would think you wouldn't do it in the spur of the moment anyway.

Last edited by The_Dave; 09-27-2007 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: update post
Old 09-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dave View Post
Hey Dan, I have Rogers home phone. I love it. I save about $10 a month. It is free long distance anywhere in Canada, but it has to be from your Rogers home phone to another Rogers home phone or cell. It is free long distance in New Brunswick to any phone, regardless of who you are calling has as a carrier. I choose a long distance plan where it it 5 cents a minute any where in North America. 24/7. This cost $1 a month.

When I first switched it was $19.95 a month for the first 4 months, then it went to $29.95. I also get one free option, so I chose call display as my phone has a built in answering machine. Rogers did EVERYTHING for me. I had to do nothing. It was set up and switched within a half an hour.
I have all of Rogers services and love them all.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and if I have the answer, I would be glad to help.

PS I have had the service for over 1 year, no problems
The_Dave,

Thank you for your input
I am pretty much convinced and my mother should be switching over soon.

Most of my mother's long distance calls are within New Brunswick so it makes sense for her to go with Rogers. Even if she was to call in the US or the rest of Canada it's only 5 cents a minute with a $1/month plan.
Old 09-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Man View Post
The_Dave,

Thank you for your input
I am pretty much convinced and my mother should be switching over soon.

Most of my mother's long distance calls are within New Brunswick so it makes sense for her to go with Rogers. Even if she was to call in the US or the rest of Canada it's only 5 cents a minute with a $1/month plan.
You are welcome. I believe the Rogers home phone system is a sweet deal. I recommend it to anyone.
Old 09-27-2007

Thanks everyone, I may just look into it too.