Nassau Bahamas innoculations Travel & Tourism

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Travel & Tourism

Old 08-02-2008
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Question Topic: Nassau Bahamas innoculations

Nassau Bahamas innoculations

My daughter is going to Nassua in 2 weeks. I have found varied info online regarding any needles that are needed before she goes. I really cannot find an answer. I called a travel health clinic , but they won't give info over the phone ( I was very willing to go and get the needle if she needs it!!), but I had to make an appopintment, so a nurse can decide what ( if any ) she needs. This appointment is 30 bucks, not a big deal.. BUT.. I just want to know if she needs any.. if not, then fine.. I couldn't find anything specific on health canada's website.

So, has anyone recently travelled to Nassau/ Paradise Island, Bahamas? Does anyone know for sure if she would need anything over what she already has.. all the normal vaccines and hepatitis that they gave in school.

Thanks ahead for any comments
Old 08-03-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Nassau Bahamas innoculations

Keep in mind you're asking medical advice to a bunch of people with no medical training. My personal opinion is all of that needle stuff is nonsense. I've traveled on my own (no resorts) in Mexico 8 times for roughly 115 days in total. I've eaten street food, brushed my teeth with tap water, had all kinds of drinks at bars, used dirty bathrooms, and all kinds of other things and I have never had a problem outside of some typical travelers' sickness but some regular eating of good yogurt. Again, keep in mind that this is anecdotal advice. Also, check the ingredients in some of those vaccines; they contain some pretty scary stuff.
Old 08-03-2008

Thanks for the reponse, that is my general feeling asa well Dan J. ANd I just wanted to know what others have found, who have travelled there-- what they were told. i, personally, have never gone any where besides California, but we did do a day trip to Tijuana and we ate and drank and never got sick.

Thanks for responding, I can always count on you to respond
Old 08-03-2008
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

No problem. I hope your daughter has a safe and very fun trip. I'm jealous as I love travel.
Old 08-04-2008

not for the bahamas.
Old 08-04-2008

I was pretty sure you had to be vaccinated for hepatitis. My brother and sister in law both did. They went to Cuba, and somewhere in the area of the Bahama's.
Old 08-04-2008

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/236-eng.php

many people feel more comfortable getting vax'd going into poor countries.
I don't consider bahamas the same risk as Cuba..
at the end of the day, only the traveler can decide what's best for them.
Happy travels!

Last edited by Cartersmom; 08-04-2008 at 07:50 PM..
Old 08-04-2008

Sorry meant to post a link with some info.
http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/vaccinations/Bahamas