Pregnant, going to school, can't get another job Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 09-06-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Pregnant, going to school, can't get another job

Pregnant, going to school, can't get another job

Ok, so i am almost 3 months pregnant. When I got pregnant I was holding a full time job that slowly was cutting back my hours. 33, 28, 25, 20, 18, etc...
My fiance works, but we are barely maknig ends meet. There are days where I dont even think he eats so that I can. We have had to sell a lot of posessions just to keep heads above water.
While at that job, I got a call to start another job full time as cashier, but as the store was moving had to do stock for 8 days...that was fine. So I left my job to start the new one, as I was still early in pregnancy.
Just a bit of history, high risk and high miscarriage rates run in my family, bad. My doctor has already told me to take it easy.
So, after the 8 days of moving heavy boxes for 13 hours a day was over, I was beat, sore, had bad stomach pains, and could barely walk. But, I was happy to be going back next day as cashier. WRONG! I got in the opening day, and was told, "Oh, too bad, you need to stay as stock". At this point it was work for 8$ an hour, or lose my baby. I had to leave my job.
I start at the university in 3 days, and have not even heard back yet from student loan, so i do not even know if I can stay. I have been dropping resumes off EVERYWHERE, and have not received any call backs. And am scared that when I get hired, I will be fired once I start to show (I know it is not legal, discrimination, but if I am still on that probation period, they can let me go without reason). So, I need suggestions. Please nothing mean, I am just wondering if there is something out there I am missing? Is there anywhere in the city that will wilingly hire pregnant women? I do not want to go on assistance or EI or welfare or whatever.
Old 09-06-2009

Well, it seems like you have a LOT on your plate. First and foremost is the health of you and your baby. I wish there were some magic words of wisdom to help you, unfortunately I have none. Just remember stress isn't good for you and the baby, something will come along.
Old 09-06-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

I guess you know to contact 'Rene Sleep' (financial aid) and 'Maradeth Henry'(counselling) at school /unb. I wouldn't skip school with the thinking that there is no hope. Just go. Your student loan may just be a bit slow. Contact those two named above first thing Tuesday and make an appointment.
Old 09-06-2009

Thank you guys. Low, I actually have not heard of those ladies, but I will go in and see them ASAP.
Old 09-06-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

That new hotel, Chateau Saint John, is hiring for all positions so it would seem. They might have shifts that fit around your university schedule.
Old 09-06-2009

yaa!! look at all the POSITIVE responses and information you are getting from here! I LOVE ISAINTJOHN!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009

lizard lover: This is what I would do....sorta been in this kind of situation before. First off, you def need to worry about you and baby first! That being said, the stress of not knowing from day to day if you are still gonna have a roof over your head and food on the table isn't good either! Your best bet is a call center. I know you have worked in them(so have I) but the wage isn't that bad at most of them, they wouldn't care if you were pregnant, and you would likely get a good amount of hours to qualify for maternity when you have the baby but most importantly you wouldn't be on your feet all day. Best of luck to you and if I hear of anything I will let you know!
Old 09-06-2009

Contact someone in Family and Community Services. I was a stay at home mom and pregnant again and we qualified for money from them, it wasn't much (they base it on your income and how many are in your family) but you should try. My fiance works 2 jobs and we still qualified. They also supplied me with milk tickets, and pre-natal vitamins and formula tickets after the baby was born. I think I got a little over $90 a month but at least it helped some.
Old 09-07-2009

Well, the thing with family and community services is that we do not yet have kids, this will be our first so I do not know how that will go, but will definetely look into that thank you. Yeah I had a friend who was pregnant with her first child, and they gave her the milk tickets and vitamins, and like 90$ a month after her first 3 months or something like that, so I wonder.
Old 09-07-2009

It can't hurt to call and see. Like I said $90 isn't much but it does help. Even the vitamins and milk were a help.