Still no job Jobs & Education

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Jobs & Education

Old 10-05-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Still no job

Still no job

So, I have been taking resumes EVERYWHERE, dropping them off in person, and checking job babnk everyday, and sending resumes to those who accept them that way. Have had a few interviews, but nothing. I have NEVER had an interview before and not received the job. I am now 16 weeks pregnant, and have been showing for awhile. Anyone else think this may be why no one is hiring me? And for those woh may not know, I had no choice but to quit the job I had when I was a month along because it was extremely dangerous to the health of the baby. (heavy labour work) and my doctor firmly suggested quitting.

What are my options at this point, I would do anything.....
Old 10-05-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Wyndham is hiring 100+ people for a few different departments.
Old 10-05-2009

Yes, and I know for a fact that Wyndham does hire women who are pregnant, as all employers are supposed to
Old 10-05-2009

I know all are supposed to, but it happens. I should try at Wyndham....the area kinda scares me, but I have tried everywhere else it seems.
Old 10-05-2009

I know what you're feeling. I have been out of work since June. Its beginning to get to me.

Resume, hope, resume, hope, resume, hope, resume, hope.....repeat.
Old 10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard_lover View Post
I know all are supposed to, but it happens. I should try at Wyndham....the area kinda scares me, but I have tried everywhere else it seems.
Why does the area scare you?
Old 10-05-2009

Its just the area of uptown...and especially after dark. I just have had some bad things happen to me in that area is all. I have an interview tomorrow at Eddie Bauer though...anyone know anything about the place?
Old 10-05-2009

EB and Wyndham

Quote:
Its just the area of uptown...and especially after dark. I just have had some bad things happen to me in that area is all. I have an interview tomorrow at Eddie Bauer though...anyone know anything about the place?
I worked for EB about 8 years ago when they had all 3 divisions, the people were nice and the sups but was never very good at the up selling of clothes (you had 6 or 8 sheets double sided every week you had to up sell on every call, can't remember how many items) plus you had to offer magazine subscriptions. I was only there for a few months then I went to Wyndham been there ever since I have no issues with Wyndham. Most of the current hiring right now is with rci they just started 2 classes today of 30 they always ramp up in the fall for first quarter, they loose a lot of new hires, myself I think the biggest problem is they don't tell them REALLY EXPLAIN TO THEM that in all likely hood it will be 5 to 6 YEARS yes YEARS before you even get a sniff at anything less then 3:30 to midnight for a shift.............if you have no issues with working till midnight its a great place to work

if you have any other questions
ask
Bill
Old 10-06-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
I lived in that area for 4 years and I worked some of the time at Wyndham on the overnight shift, it was 1030-7 am and I walked to work most of the time, never had a problem. The parking garage is locked overnight and has security. Sorry, Union St just aint the ghetto.
Old 10-07-2009

I got the job at Eddie Bauer! But the only thing is they have no tolerance to missing any time during training...so I have to re-schedule two doctor appointments, and move my ultrasound ahead 3 weeks....
Old 10-07-2009

Quote:
I got the job at Eddie Bauer! But the only thing is they have no tolerance to missing any time during training...so I have to re-schedule two doctor appointments, and move my ultrasound ahead 3 weeks....
Congrats on getting the job!!!! See.... you could do it, pregnant or not!!!! Just had to be the right job.
Old 10-07-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

IBM (north), Iron Mountain (east), ICT (east), and dealermine (uptown) are all hiring. All are call centre's. I've worked at iron mountain and dealermine both were decent jobs. Dealermine gives a guarantee of working no weekends and you get paid weekly. I have a few friends that work at IBM and i've heard there pretty flexible with hours and it's a cool place to work. Not sure about ICT but a job's a job!

For dealermine email your resume to: sue_nason@dealermineinc.com
For ICT email: saintjohn@ictgroup.com
For iron mountain email: wanda.myers@ironmountain.com
For IBM you have to visit their corporate website to apply but I would just recommend dropping off your resume in person.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-08-2009

Thanks Sassy. I have worked for ICT, not a good place at all, worst place I have ever worked at actually. I dropped a resume off to IBM, and the other two I did not know were hiring. I did get a job though, but thank you very much. That info may come in handy if something goes sour with EB
Old 10-10-2009

Congrats on getting a job! I have been looking as well and it is so not easy to find employment here in the city especially when you have things working against you. I am working a temporary job right now that is done in January. I have another temporary job lined up for February-April but I would like to find something permanent with health benefits. I haven't applied at call centres because I suck at selling. I have put out a lot of resumes but I think what is working against me is that I was out of work for 5 years due to medical reasons, I had 13 surgeries. I just find the job hunting so difficult.
Old 11-23-2009

Well...the job at Eddie Bauer didn`t work out because I could not get the required paperwork from the government in time. But, I got a job at Sobey`s....downside...I have been there about a month, and am a cashier. I reckon most everyone knows I am pregnant because I am showing quite a bit now, and have told most of the other employees anyways. I have been having issues though. When bagging customers groceries and moving the bag to the end of the platform thing...my belly presses into the corner of the counter...obviously not good for someone who is pregnant. (mind you I also spent this Saturday night in the hospital due to bleeding and severe cramping). So in order to try and avoid doing this, i have to stretch and bend in such an awkward way that by hour 4 my feet and back are throbbing and in severe pain. Idon`t know what to do. I don`t want to go and tell them to put me permanently on speedy checkout or another dept, as I have only been there a month. Any advice?