vcr recording with satellite :: Saint John, NB - Computers & Technology

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Computers & Technology

Old 04-08-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: vcr recording with satellite

vcr recording with satellite

At the risk of showing my complete techno ineptitude here goes.

Does anyone know how to tape a show while watching another show with satellite tv? Also is there a way to set up the vcr to tape something 3 or 4 hours in the future? My satellite goes into the box then into the vcr then into the tv. I have tried to tape but the only way I found was to hit the record button and record whatever I am watching. My satellite channels go up to 900s but my vcr only goes up to 125.

When I had cable I had it down to a science. I'd watch one shpw and using 2 tvs and 2 vcrs would record 2 other shows and of course recording up to months in the future was eay.
Old 04-08-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

This is like retro 90's, lol With a Set Top Box, you can't record one show and watch another unless you have two receivers. To record all your channels you leave your VCR on Channel 3 and hit the TV/VCR button. You should now be able to watch the feed coming out of the VCR which should let you see all of the channels but you still change channels with the receiver. To program a recording you have to use the VCR Schedule function, all of them are different there is usually a program button on the VCR remote. The Receiver has to be left on the channel to record the show you want.

There are so many other better options in this day and age, like using your PC as a PVR with Windows Media Center or get a PVR Receiver from your satellite provider.
Old 04-10-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

A VCR... what's that?
Old 04-11-2010

LOL You are taliking to someone who still has a cassette player in her car and has no plans to change it anytime soon. My son's have ofered to installa cd player but I don't know. Cassettes have historically always have a way of coming back so you never know....... I am the MOST techno inept person you will ever talk to. There are people out there in their 70's way more ahead of me. LOL BTW, I have 7 Academy Of Learning computer certificates and 4 of them are with honors. LOL It never stuck with me. Never made much sense to me I guess.

As far as dvd's go well... my whole past 25 years is on vcr. It is easy and I like the medium.
Old 04-11-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Ha, Ha too funny! VCR, cassettes, LOL! I wouldn't be surprised if you were viewing this on a Comodore 64.
Old 04-11-2010

No but my son has one. LOL
Old 04-11-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

Well then a PVR Reciever is what you should get. There is nothing easier then going threw the guide and hitting record. That's it. That's all you have to do. You can add one to your plan for a couple bucks a month.
Old 04-11-2010

Thanks flashdude. I may look into that. Thursday nights there are 3 shows on that I want to see at the same time.