The Box Arts & Entertainment

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Arts & Entertainment

Old 11-11-2009

Default Topic: The Box

The Box

If anyone is thinking about going to see "The Box" movie, don't waste your time and money....it was horrible. I did not understand much of it from start to finish. First movie I actually fell asleep at.
Old 11-12-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I heard that it was a bomb! Actually I read a review of the movie and the audiences numbers it brought in, and apparently it wasn't good.

They know how to make things look good even when they suck don't they!! They use all the good parts for the previews because the rest of the movie stinks. I've been suckered into a few movies like that!! Big disappointment, especially when you just paid $20 for one person to go see it!!

Sorry it sucked Bradorna!! But, thanks for the warning!!
Old 11-18-2009

I think this is a remake of a half hour Alfred Hitchcock show from way back in the seventies. I vividly remember watching that particular show. I was amazed at how they were goimg to stretch it into a 2 hour movie when that half hour was plenty to tell the story. I think that episode had the same title too.
Old 11-18-2009

It's funny you say that Inuit. I read James Cameron is in the spotlight so to speak, because one of his upcoming movies seems to have come from someone else's mind.

I am not sure if it was a rip off of Alfred Hitchcock though, I believe it was something else. Possibly the twilight zone??? Or it could have been a book. I'm sorry my memory is terrible at times!! But someone is after him anyways saying he ripped his idea for the movie from someone else's ideas.

Not many filmmakers coming up with new and original ideas now a days. All remakes! Though some are good, they need to get some new ideas!! You can only do remakes so long before we all get bored!! Then they try to blame it on pirating. LoL I'm starting to think it has a lot to do with boredom as well.

One remake I cannot wait to see though: Alice in Wonderland done by Tim Burton. His stuff is so strange and weird at times. He puts such a cool twist to his characters even if they have previously existed in film before!!! I love him and Johnny Depp together, I can't wait!!!!
Old 11-18-2009

Come to think of it, it may have been Twlight Zone. I loved both of those shows. I can't remember but I do know the episode. It was really good for the 1/2 hour show. I was surprised when I heard they had made a full length movie out of it.

I know what you mean by remakes though. I saw the origional Texas Chainsaw Massacur in a theater in 1975 and went to see the remake a few years ago. Talk about ruining an origional idea. It totally sucked. The origional movie was based on a true story with artistic license of course but the new one was pure fantasy. My only complaint was the origional was way too dark to easily see what was going on. Of course all movies are made that way now.

Tim Burton does make different movies but I loved the halloween/christmas one. (can't think of the name of it) Haven''t seen The Corpse Bride yet.

OMG! I've got CRAFT'S disease. LOL

Last edited by inuit; 11-18-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Old 11-18-2009

Hey Pumpkin if you have kids about 7 to 12 years old, there is a really good older movie my kids and I LOVED. It was "The Labyrith". It was a Jim Henson production with muppets and my boys laughed most of the way through it. I lmao too and I loved the music in the movie. I liked David Bowie's music anyway. Good songs, catchy. Good movie too. It starred David Bowie and Jennifer Connley. With the exception of one or two others, the rest of the cast was muppets. A little too intense for younger than 7 year olds IMO. I have it here somewhere on vcr and I used to watch it ever so often.
Old 11-18-2009

OMG!! LOL!! We must be on the same wave length when it comes to tv/movies!! Or atleast a little anyways!! :P

The Labrynth was my FAVORITE movie when I was a kid. I have it on dvd and my daughter has watched it. Ofcourse her favorite part is Hoggle peeing in the pond when Sarah is first brought into the Goblin King's world. LOL I always liked the lil worm at the beginning of The Labrynth. SO cute. But I had the biggest crush on David Bowie. I became quite the fan of his music after seeing that movie. And I loved the music in the movie. Excellent. My friend and I still quote that movie all the time. I have a couple songs off it downloaded to my computer actually. I realy liked Magic Dance and The song playing when she is dreaming of being at that costume ball, As the world falls down. Underground was good too. Oh the whole darn soundtrack was good really. lol

What the heck is Craft's Disease? lol

Oh you didn't like the remake of Chainsaw massacre? I loved it. Was haunted for days by the damn movie!! But, to this day, I have never got to see the original and have always wanted to. The remake is one of the two movies since I was a kid to actually scare me or bother me.

I thought Texas Chainsaw Massacre was true because of what they state at the beginning and end of that movie and all I could think of for days was what in the heck would you do if you came upon a town where everyone in town was a psycho killer or in on it? And that psycho killer was never found, so where is he now?

Then I decided to do some research and found out it was never a true story, there was never a leatherface. I typed in everything I could think of right down to the Travis County Sheriff's Department which they stated in the movie lol, and all I got was that is wasn't actually true, they just wanted to bring in a big fan base.

In the end I found out, it was based off of what Ed Gein did and some of his characteristics. Ed Gein made the human skin vest, which is also where the movie Silence of the Lambs derived from as well. He supposidly also robbed graves among other things I will not mention, one of which was apprently his mother's, so that is where the movie Psycho originally derived from. So, I was able to rest a bit easier knowing Leatherface and family was all baloney!! lol

LOVE the original The Fog. The remake wasn't horrible but I definately like the original better. My friend has never seen the original so she really liked the remake.

The movie Halloween. Rob Zobie did the remake. I didn't think I would like it, but I did only because it explained a lot more than the original did. However, I was completely digusted though, that he had to put a femal mental patient being raped by the guards in the movie, so that part really turned me off of the movie in a sense.

Even, Scooby Doo from back in the day. LOVE it compared to todays, though I like anything Scooby. lol

I am waiting to see how the New Nightmare on Elm Street turns out. I hate to admit it but I have a really bad attitude toward a lot of the remakes they are doing because i am afraid they will wreck it completely!!. lol I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt until I can see it and judge for myself though. :P There are also a few other remakes being done right now, which I am interested in just to say I saw them and to be able to judge which I prefere better. lol There has just been so many being talked of being remade, I am starting to forget what ones they are doing.

Last edited by Pumpkin; 11-18-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-18-2009

I saw Texas chainsaw in 1975 and the buzz was that it was based on a true story. Back in the day there wasn't any internet to check stuff. I knew it had only been loosly based on a true event but did not know till now who it was based on.

Awesome that you are a fan of Labyrinth too, Small world. I was kinda hopinng for grandkids to show them the movie but my boys don't even have girlfriends yet and I'm not getting any younger. LOL

CRAFT'S disease Can't Remember a ******* Thing LOL

I saw the original of most of the scary movies from back in the 70's and early 80's. They seemed scarier then because the whole gendre was so new. Now you can go online and watch a person being killed so anything else pales by comparison. Different world I guess.
Old 11-18-2009

LoL Yea I guess I have that disease too then!!

Mom and Dad were always movie buffs back in the day so that's probably why I got hooked on the originals. I have been watching scary movies since I was 5!!! So that tells you why not much bothers me or scares me when it comes to Horror movies. :P
Old 11-18-2009

Ypur parents must be around ny age. Old. LOL