Funding for school General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 12-31-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Funding for school

Funding for school

I am looking for ways to fund my education. I have savings, but not enough. I do not qualify for a student loan or a bank loan, so how do I find money?
Does each school/college/academy have their own scholarships/grants/bursaries?
I need 7K. How do I get it? (besides obviously working and saving it up)
Are there any employers around anymore that pay tuition? or tuition reimbursement?
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-01-2011

I hate to sound callous, but good luck with that! Hardest thing in the world to get is a decent education. I've tried over the years several times to take upgrading/Trades training to get out of this minimum wage security crap I've been doing most of my life.

It is not easy. I never seem to qualify for one reason or another. If I did not need financial help to get it, they'd be more than happy to throw money at me to do it. But being your average Joe, I pay all my bills. I raise my family. But I just can not get ahead. While others I've known seem to get everything they want. I don't ask for much. The education to better myself and my family. That's it.

I've been working for the last 28 years to support my self and once married my wife. I still can not get into a program to upgrade. Every time I try I get your working, pay for it yourself.

Well if I could it would be done. My wages go to pay the bills. I'm not looking for them to just give me the money to take the training and still be able to pay the bills and eat. I just want a loan that I can pay back once I get the training and get a better job!!!!!

Sorry to rant in your thread, but it is a sore point with me. Those that want to improve themselves are frustrated at every turn!
Old 01-01-2011

Oasis. I totally understand what you mean.
I have been going to school, one class at a time for the past 2+years. Paying for it as I can afford it. I am finally done all my pre-req classes and now want to start my actual program. But the funding is the issue. There has to be money out there for people. There HAS to be. There needs to be things in place to help people get an education and get ahead. I am a single momma of 2 kids, working my butt off to make a better life for my kids and it seems I a have hit the wall. All that stands between me and a good life for my family is 7thousand dollars...
Old 01-01-2011

Miz...check out links on diff types of bursaries when my friend was going to college she checked on ones for parents that belonged to groups (IODE etc) arthritis association, etc etc etc. There are many that never even get used. Start googling
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid...a0178b09ca64e2
Old 01-02-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Hi!

What are you trying to take, university or college? I've been going to unversity part time now for 2.5 years, taking 2 courses per term, since I pay for it out of pocket, saving and paying as I go. They do offer bursaries for part time students at the university, it's based on need and how many students apply. It's nice because you just fill in one form, and they see if you meet the requirements for any of the bursaries...I've qualified almost every term, and the amount has ranged from 200.00 to 500.00 (which is almost one course!). Every bit helps. I'm a single parent too, so I know how hard it can be, but even if you can only take one course at a time, it does eventually pay off...As for a job that will pay, I do take classes with a few people who work for Irving, but they had to show that the courses will help with their jobs, they pay up front and then they get reimbursed. I work for the government, and they don't give me any help...
Old 01-02-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Check out this site and apply. See where it goes.
https://www.studentaid.gnb.ca/