bankruptcy General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 06-03-2011
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: bankruptcy

bankruptcy

I know of someone who has filed bankruptcy about 2-3 weeks ago and just today they had a scratch ticket and found they had won $5000. My question is do they have to notify the bankruptcy company and will it be taken from them..... or if they cash the ticket in, how can the bankruptcy company find out about the winnings?? I can see if they win a huge sum of money that could be paid out to cover their debt, but $5000 would not even make a dent. Any comments would be welcomed....thxs.
Old 06-03-2011
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Be safe and let a good family member or friend cash it in...just a thought.
Old 06-04-2011

That is exactly what we had thought as well but the problem is the person that won has already signed the ticket and had it validated..they just have not gone to cash it in yet.
Old 06-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerepisboy View Post
That is exactly what we had thought as well but the problem is the person that won has already signed the ticket and had it validated..they just have not gone to cash it in yet.
Has to be reported. Whether it's a chunk out of the debt or not, it has to be reported. I don't think they'll be able to keep much (if any) of it.

Basic Google search brought this up
'If you bought the lottery ticket before you file, and the winning lottery ticket is drawn after you file, the ticket and the winning proceeds are property of your bankruptcy estate.'
Old 06-04-2011

At the end of the year the bankruptcy lawyers have to do your taxes. There will be a T4 for the winnings even though they are tax free. Failure to disclose this is fraud. If this happens it could reverse the bankruptcy and you would be on the hook for that portion of debt, if not the whole thing. Plus If not claimed, would be income tax fraud. This could lead to jail time. Tax fraud is one of the most serious charges in the criminal code. I personally think you'd get less if you committed a murder!!!!
Old 06-05-2011

How can they send out a T4 for the winnings if they don't have your S.I.N. ?? Who sends out this T4 anyways??
Old 06-05-2011
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

T4? That makes no sense... lottery winnings in Canada are tax free... it has absolutely nothing to do with revenue Canada unless it was a substantial win and you were receiving interest from it, then you would be taxed on the interest.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/t...nttxd-eng.html

Last edited by rhiley_08j; 06-05-2011 at 09:29 PM..
Old 06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerepisboy View Post
How can they send out a T4 for the winnings if they don't have your S.I.N. ?? Who sends out this T4 anyways??
Regardless, you've got your answer.
Old 06-06-2011

Yes it is tax free. but still need to be declared. Government wants to know were every cent you get comes from. The interest on winning is not tax free.

My brother won $10000 afew years ago. And it had to be declared on his taxes as income. It's just tax free. Same as workmans comp. It's tax free, but has to be claimed.
Old 06-06-2011

Man this makes my skin crawl! File for bankruptcy, then contine to buy scratch tickets! You cant pay your bills, but you can still afford lottery tickets. But what really sickens me is now that they have come into a little extra cash, they want to try and hide it from people that they owe it too!! You have already stuck all the people that extended you credit, now you want to try and keep money that should go toward paying off some of your debtors!..... Karma!
Old 06-06-2011

Well all comments were appreciated and were passed on to the lucky or unlucky winners. They went to the bank to cash it in today. If I was in their position, I would have done the same exact thing, as I am sure everyone else would have done so as well. Thanks again .
Old 06-06-2011
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Diddy View Post
Man this makes my skin crawl! File for bankruptcy, then contine to buy scratch tickets! You cant pay your bills, but you can still afford lottery tickets. But what really sickens me is now that they have come into a little extra cash, they want to try and hide it from people that they owe it too!! You have already stuck all the people that extended you credit, now you want to try and keep money that should go toward paying off some of your debtors!..... Karma!

Can't afford to pay your bills but can spend a whole $2 on a scratch ticket with the hopes of trying to put yourself in a better financial position...shame on you!
Old 06-07-2011

rhiley_08j, I really hope your not that gullible to believe that he/she just spent $2.00 and won $5000.00 on that one very lucky scratch ticket! And just for the record, buying lottery tickets is no way to "Better" your financial situation! I don't believe any financial advisor will ever advise you to "go out and pick up some scratch tickets"! (Just sayin). I like the sarcasm in your post though
Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Can't afford to pay your bills but can spend a whole $2 on a scratch ticket with the hopes of trying to put yourself in a better financial position...shame on you!
I buy the odd lottery ticket because I can afford it. You can be sure if I ever have to file bankruptchy I won't be wasting my extra money on lottery tickets. What a joke, this person should be forking over the $5000 and not hiding it. They'll just get themselves into worse trouble later on.