Aliant Fibre Op General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 06-02-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Aliant Fibre Op

i havent gotten off work as of yet, work till 9pm so by 9:30 i hope to be ankle deep in new downloads lol, will update when I get home likely around 10 or so
Old 06-02-2010

20.9mbs download, 5.32mbs upload using www.pcpitstop.com for there speed test, amazing an quick so far. gonna transfer some files back and forth from my server and see how that goes
Old 06-02-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

nice!! sounds awsome. i think i'll be calling soon and seeing about switching back.
Old 06-03-2010

one issue I seem to be having is that the hardware required seems to be mated to each other. with the high speed max your modem is also wireless so its one unit. With the fiber optic it requires a seperate unit for both. A modem that recieved the inbound fiber optic, which then transmits out through an ethernet cable to the wireless gateway they send. 2 problems with this setup. the modem has 4 ethernet ports located on the back, yet only one sends out a signal, which also only works when sent to the gateway. If directly connected to a laptop or pc( using ethernet of course) I get no connection. if run out to another router I have ( dlink di-604) it appears to indicate that its working, until attempting to connect on anything. the dlink is a wired router( theres a reason im trying to hook this up to, but ill get to that in a second.)
The weird thing is, i get no connection when im hooked up to the dlink directly. if i run an ethernet cable from the dlink to the gateway i get full access again on wireless. still cant get a signal from the dlink. If i run a cable from the gateway to the same laptop i can get wired access. so apparently as long as the modem see's the gateway somewheres in the chain it will work( from the gateway itself at least).
The reason im trying to use the dlink is because im using a pc running Windows Home Server. for access externally to whs it needs to configure the necessary ports on the router using Upnp. The 2wire gateway doesnt allow Upnp, hence the attempt to get the dlink in the mix to by-pass the gateway. And to make things that much better after moving server to another location to allow a direct connect to internet..... I got a BSOD error 0x0000000a . so it was a long night with my first shot at Fiber Optic lol
Old 06-03-2010

wow, that sounds like one of the most jacked up configurations i've ever heard of. 2 seperate boxes just for inbound and outbound connections
Old 06-03-2010

well its essentially the same as a rogers coax connection. it feeds into the modem, which then goes out to the router, diff is with rogers modems( an my old wireless modem from aliant) you can use any wireless/wired router simply just plug and play, just not with this one lol, well off to work on my server now
Old 07-03-2010

So how is the FiberOp working out?
I have the install scheduled for Friday (I'm in Quispamsis) and I'm excited but seriously wondering about how the setup will work. Im going to be using my own Wireless router so this should be interesting!
Old 07-03-2010

i havent really tinkered with it too much since I actually got the server running properly, the whole if it isnt broke dont fix it idea, but so long as you tell the tech right up front that you want to use your own he should be able to make it work. It is definetly faster then my old connection so thats a major plus, seems just as reliable as my old connection as well. all good so far lol
Old 07-25-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

So the internet is crazy fast, how's the TV service? I have heard a rumour that the quality is not that great, and that Satellite and even cable Hd is superior. I have a bit of trouble believing this knowing the bandwidth capacity of Fibre optics. Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2010

Don't let the rumors fool you (probably started by Rogers), LOL......the fibre OP digital TV is awsome, better (ALOT) than cable, and I find it is equal to satellite, which I also have.
Old 07-25-2010

NoseToTheGrind is right, both TV and internet are awesome!!!
Here's a speed test result.

Old 07-29-2010

I don't think Aliant TV is offering as many HD channels right now as compared to Rogers, such as RDS. Anybody have any problems with Aliant TV? How many HD channels does Aliant offer at the moment?
Old 08-01-2010

I had Rogers HDTV with multiple HD channel packs. It sucked completely and I finally got rid of it. The reason 3 main reasons:

1. Discovery Channel HD isn't a mirror of Discovery Channel SD, it's a totally different channel with feeds of their HD content. Daily Planet is not included (or at least not -daily-).

2. Space channel is not in HD

3. Most HD channels pixelate and go all blocky or go in and out nearly every time I try and watch. Not just one channel, not just one scenario. It was random but frequent. I have a dedicated tap going to my HDTV terminal with approx. 7 dB Digital @ the terminal (at the time of original hook-up 5 months previous - may have gotten split).

I'm fairly happy with Rogers TV with the regular DCT2500 series SD boxes, but it is a little pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I don't think Aliant TV is offering as many HD channels right now as compared to Rogers, such as RDS. Anybody have any problems with Aliant TV? How many HD channels does Aliant offer at the moment?
Old 08-09-2010

SO, what packages did you get people?
I am trying to figure out the internet usage one..
they are digging in our subdivision this week and the boxes say "communication" so hopefully that is F.O!
Old 08-09-2010

I got the 20mbps down/5mbps up package and when im direct connected( through ethernet cable) im hitting on average 21mbps down and like 5.5mbps up, when im wireless im a bit slower. At the same time im running a server, usually at least one game console running( unless im transferring games to my original xbox hdd, then 2 at one time) not to mention my torrents and my wife's facebook account usage. And im still able to hit at least 20 on my download. Ive been extremly happy and there is not usage cap( trust me that I know lol)
Old 08-09-2010

did you go with phone and cable too?
what do you pay (if I may sk)
Old 08-26-2010

Can someone tell me what the weather channel is like on Aliant TV? Someone said its different than what you would see on Rogers.
Old 08-26-2010

It is exactly the same as Bell satellites, It covers Canada.
Old 08-30-2010
New Member (< 10 posts)

Red Head?

Does anyone in the red head area have any insight to when the service will be available there? About 3 months ago I had a notice in my mailbox saying they wuold be in the area working, but I haven't really seen anything aside from the occasional van working on the powerlines outside my sub division. I believe everything in the sub is under ground so I imagine they have to dig everything up before I will be able to get installed.

I have talked to so many people at Bell/Aliant (even stopping installers in a Tim Horton's...) and they will not give any timelines.
Old 08-30-2010

They were here about a month ago and were checking lines on both Aberdeen and Ocean Drive, but I haven't seen or heard anything since. I would like to know as well.