Meds 2 stock up on 4 H1N1?? :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 10-13-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Exclamation Topic: Meds 2 stock up on 4 H1N1??

Meds 2 stock up on 4 H1N1??

What meds should i make sure i have for myself and my 2 young children?i know your not suppose to use aspirin? i just want to be prepared... the only thing i have is tylonol.

thanks
Old 10-13-2009

Default Topic: Meds 2 stock up on 4 H1N1??

Unfortunately, nothing will fight a virus infection, however for any flu bug to compensate for the vomiting and diarrhea you may want to have on hand an anti-nauseant and an anti-diarrheal (you may find that suppository forms will be better if they're vomiting and not holding anything down) as well as some pedialyte to prevent dehydration, the Tylenol or Advil will be good if a fever sets in.

Last edited by MrsBeasley; 10-14-2009 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-14-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Virus' have to run their course, there really is no medicine, antibiotic that will get rid of it any easier. The best thing to do is protect your family from it in the first place. Wash hands, eat healthy fruit and vegetables etc, avoid public places esp. hospitals as much as possible and if sick stay home and recover so you don't risk spreading any germs or getting worse around others who are just as sick or more so. I am not a believer in getting the vaccination, it hasn't been studied long enough for me and I am not using my kids as their guinnea pigs, but avoiding getting sick as much as humanly possible is the best way IMO
Old 10-14-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

If you do get sick though and go to the hospital is there anything they can do for you? I've been debating the vaccine for the last few months... and feel the same way as momof2sweethearts, but at the same time, I want them to be safe. It's a hard decision
Old 10-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
If you do get sick though and go to the hospital is there anything they can do for you? I've been debating the vaccine for the last few months... and feel the same way as momof2sweethearts, but at the same time, I want them to be safe. It's a hard decision
They can give you IV fluids to prevent dehydration and anti-viral medication.
Old 10-14-2009

Soap. Wash your hands. Frequently.
Old 10-14-2009

I do wash my hands thanks and so do my kids.. i know theres nothing to fight it off but i was asking about like tylonols and pedialyte is a good one i didnt even think of that and i went and got them flintstone's vit. C and the new vaccine we are getting , i thought it was used before in europe and they already gave it out in some countries? i dont think i am getting it either...but i wish we would have got the same one the states is using..
thanks
Old 10-14-2009

i dont want to jinx myself , but whenever my kids got bad flu's in the past few years i havent caught it.. i havent had a flu in years so if i catch h1n1 do you think i will get really really ill ?
Old 10-15-2009

The actual "flu" is an upper respiratory ailment ONLY. I you have diarrhea or vomiting it is not the "flu" but gastroenteritis. Depending on severity and ages involved you may or may not want to seek medical help for it. If it is not too serious, keeping hydrated is most often enough. if the person is elderly, very young or is immunio surpressed that's a whole different senerio.

As for medications to have on hand, think symptom relief. For just the "flu" you may want some ibuprofen (Advil),acetominaphen (Tylenol) or for adults Asprin. Don't give Asprin to children under the age of 17. You might also want a cough syrup. Cold medication is a personal choice. What I find works great for me may not work or you. My son swears by the hot contact C stuff. Medically speaking, it is really useless but for him it makes him feel better and he takes it whenever he gets a cold and it seem to help him. One hint I will give you when buying cold/flu medication is "less is better". The fewer things it fixes, the better. You are better off taking medication for your symptoms than one the covers everything and then some. If you take more than one medication check the label carefully to make sure you are not taking two medications with the same ingredient thereby overdosing yourself.

The biggest worry with the flu is the secondary infections like strep throat or ear infections. These may need an antibiotic more so than the flu alone. Also if you have asthma, COPD, diabetes or other chronic ailment be extra careful if you contract the flu. Things can go downhill fast if you already have a serious illness.

In summary I guess, with the flu treat just your symptoms. When in doubt, ask the pharmasist. They are the drug experts and are there and willing to help you.

Last edited by inuit; 10-15-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old 10-15-2009

I was complaining of a sore throat for the 2nd time in two weeks and my friend told me that she has a fever and hurts all over. Today she messaged me to let me know....she was a bit suprised to find out..she has H1N1. (She lives in the US)

Now I am not sure if that's how it hits everyone..but thought I'd let you know that much. I haven't got to talk to her since so I dunno what or if they gave her anything for it. I assume you get antibiotics, but I don't know.

This probably isn't my place to say and I will no doubt get pummeled by someone for this, but why do people insisit on pumping their kids full of medicinal crap whenever they get the least bit sick? That doesn't help build the immune system! I find a lot of parents especially parents to children 6 and under , over medicate their kids with this over the counter crud! I have seen a few friends do it and I could never understand it. I never did that! None of it seems to work anyways and It sure doesn't cure them!!! Atleast that has been my experience with my child.... and I will tell you, the parents I know who have over medicated their kids...their kids still always get sick with colds...mine, who was rarely medicated, rarely gets sick!!....(probably just jinxed the poor kid now)
Old 10-16-2009

Not being an expert on children and my kids are in their 30's but I don't think parents try to overmedicate their kids. I think the kids have a fever, cough and feel so sick and miserable that the parents feel they need to do something to make the child feel better. Common response to sick child. Nobody want to sit and watch their child suffer if there is something to help them.

I do agree though that every little fever or sniffle does not need to be medicated to death. Our immune systems get stronger each time we fight an invader on our own.

Fevers are nature's way of killing bacteria in our body. When we rush in to stop a slight fever, we hinder the body's own natural responce to fighting disease. Heat kills bacteria so when we get fevers we are trying to kill bacteria.I am not talking about high persistant fevers. There is a difference.

Actually if you get a high fever and feel cold and miserable, if you can stand it and tough it out, eventually the fever will break and you will wake up soaked in sweat and you will feel so much better. This advice I give for yourself as an adult. I am not recommending that you do this to your child.

With children. I don't recommend you take too many chances. Children go downhill fast too. Don't try to self treat persistant vomiting and diarrhea. In children, dehydration can happen quickly. You can spot signs and symptoms of dehydration by dry mouth, no tears, when you pull up loose skin on the arm, it does not fall back into place immediately when dropped, dry lips, complaining of thirst and very little and consentrated smelly pee.

For a sore throat, try gargling with salt and water and take acetominaphen for pain.

Hope you feel better Pumpkin.
Old 10-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Not being an expert on children and my kids are in their 30's but I don't think parents try to overmedicate their kids. I think the kids have a fever, cough and feel so sick and miserable that the parents feel they need to do something to make the child feel better. Common response to sick child. Nobody want to sit and watch their child suffer if there is something to help them.

I do agree though that every little fever or sniffle does not need to be medicated to death. Our immune systems get stronger each time we fight an invader on our own.

Fevers are nature's way of killing bacteria in our body. When we rush in to stop a slight fever, we hinder the body's own natural responce to fighting disease. Heat kills bacteria so when we get fevers we are trying to kill bacteria.I am not talking about high persistant fevers. There is a difference.

Actually if you get a high fever and feel cold and miserable, if you can stand it and tough it out, eventually the fever will break and you will wake up soaked in sweat and you will feel so much better. This advice I give for yourself as an adult. I am not recommending that you do this to your child.

With children. I don't recommend you take too many chances. Children go downhill fast too. Don't try to self treat persistant vomiting and diarrhea. In children, dehydration can happen quickly. You can spot signs and symptoms of dehydration by dry mouth, no tears, when you pull up loose skin on the arm, it does not fall back into place immediately when dropped, dry lips, complaining of thirst and very little and consentrated smelly pee.

For a sore throat, try gargling with salt and water and take acetominaphen for pain.

Hope you feel better Pumpkin.
Thanks Inuit!! I am feeling better. It's funny each time this has hit me, it felt like I was gonna get it real good. Lasts two maybe three days and it's gone. Odd!! But, I am not complaining...I am rejoicing lol

No, not all parents over medicate their children (I probably overgeneralized again), and your right, most parents do it out of concern, even the ones who tend to over medicate. But I have personally seen a few who used to pump their kids with about 4 or 5 different over the counter kids meds (cough, fever, etc) before their kids would go to bed. Then would literally wake the child a few hours later to give them more. Not because the child woke up or was having a bad coughing fit or anything, but just because they thought they should have it again. So I guess those were the type people I was thinking/speaking of.

I gave up long ago. My daughter was sick ALL the time when she was 2,3 and 4 because I figured out later, she was in daycare. I tried all the cough syrups, and cough strips, this and that, and nothing ever really seemed to give the poor thing any relief so I figured what's the point in giving it to her. Except for the tylenol or whatever for fevers. That would always work. So after my own personal experiences with it, I just didn't bother giving it to her anymore. She rarely ever gets sick now.
Old 10-16-2009

Oh and PS, My friend who has the H1N1, was given no antibiotics for it at all. So I guess you gotta tough it out like everything else.
Old 10-16-2009

Honey, lemon and warm water really really does wonders for coughs! (kind of tasty too!) That's what I give my little minions when they're coughing, and a humidifier and they usually sleep through the night when they're sick.

I know someone who gives their child tylenol to the point where the child is likely dependent on it... Would give it to her every time she woke up at night, for any reason. Hungry? Tylenol. Gassy? Tylenol. Playing music too loud so you woke up? Tylenol. She's having a lot of trouble with her daughter too it's sad.
Old 10-16-2009

You should get Gravol, for nausea, as MrsB. suggested. If you contract a stomach virus it really helps.

Last edited by KIT; 10-16-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 10-17-2009

donteat, whoever that person is that feed their children tylenol please, please tell them to stop right now. All of these drugs (asprin, ibuprofen,tylenol) WILL (not may) cause liver and or stomach damage with prolonged, excessive use. In children those drugs are suggested for infrequent use. (like one or two every 3 or 4 months unless the child has pain or a fever) Definately not for gas or any other non-serious condition. She is causing her children harm and she most likely thinks it is just childrens tylenol so what harm can it do. The answer is LOTS and certain harm. This is misuse of the drug. No mistake, these are DRUGS, not candy.

Ibuprofen and asprin causes stomach bleeding and ulceration with excessive prolonged use and Tylenol causes liver damage with prolonged and excessive use. Most of us use these on a as needed basis and it is perfectly safe for this use.
Old 10-20-2009

If you have the flu, or H1N1, they can give you an anti-viral such as Tamiflu. They usually don't give it to people with mild flu symptoms though, you've got to really be suffering for them to give it to you.

I just got over the flu about 2 weeks ago, so I don't think I'll be getting the flu shot or the H1N1 shot this year. Who knows, my "cold" could have been swine flu! The symptoms are the same as the annual flu, it is just more severe for a greater number of people than the annual flu. They recommend that every pregnant woman gets vaccinated against H1N1 though, because it can be very severe, and there have been many reports of pregnant women dying from H1N1. Crazy!
Old 10-23-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie View Post
If you have the flu, or H1N1, they can give you an anti-viral such as Tamiflu. They usually don't give it to people with mild flu symptoms though, you've got to really be suffering for them to give it to you.

I just got over the flu about 2 weeks ago, so I don't think I'll be getting the flu shot or the H1N1 shot this year. Who knows, my "cold" could have been swine flu! The symptoms are the same as the annual flu, it is just more severe for a greater number of people than the annual flu. They recommend that every pregnant woman gets vaccinated against H1N1 though, because it can be very severe, and there have been many reports of pregnant women dying from H1N1. Crazy!

you would know if you had swine flu , your chest would hurt so bad you wouldnt want anyone to be around or touch you. and the cough is much much different with an extremely high fever. and i dont think it is here yet
Old 10-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by megz View Post
you would know if you had swine flu , your chest would hurt so bad you wouldnt want anyone to be around or touch you. and the cough is much much different with an extremely high fever. and i dont think it is here yet
What are you talking about?/ There was a case reported a few weeks back. A student from RNS was diagnosed with it.