Passport wait? Travel & Tourism

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Travel & Tourism

Old 10-25-2007
Member (< 100 posts)

Red face Topic: Passport wait?

Passport wait?

Anyone go to Fredericton recently to get a passport done or know what the wait is now? I have to go next week.
Old 10-25-2007
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Passport wait?

Went last week, total wait time about 1 1/4 hours. Not bad for the amount of people there.
Old 10-25-2007
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Hubby took our paper work to Fred'ton back in Feb or March, waited about an hour and the passports arrived in the mail in 3 weeks time
Old 10-25-2007

About 6 months ago I had to get my passport for work. I liked the option of paying $60 bucks more and picking it up in 3 business days. It really helped speed things up. Mind you most people want wanna do that, but it wasnt me paying for it lol
Old 10-26-2007

I went up Wed. and I waited a half hour maybe a little less and the waitng period for the passports are 3 weeks.
Applying here in saint John approx. 13 weeks. Thats what we were told on wed.
Old 10-27-2007

I went to Fredericton in August and waited about an hour...I was there around 11am....I had my passport in 2 1/2 weeks. My boyfriend went up 1 month ago and he just walked right in...It was at 4:00 in the afternoon...he said that he was in and out of there in 12 minutes....his came in the mail last week. (3 weeks).
However...I suspect that wait times will soon increase as once again people are thinking about winter travel and the demand will increase....as well the requirement for land travel is soon approaching.
Old 10-29-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

I took my husbands stuff to fredericton last Feb and waited 2 hrs and his PP came in 2 wks. My cousin took hers to SJ in July and waited 15 min and got hers in 2 wks. I took mine to SJ last week and waited 15 min and they told me most ppl were getting theirs in 2 - 3 wks. I went to the place where the old General Hosp used to be, is it called Agar Place?
Old 10-29-2009

My wife and my mom just both recently aquired their passports and only had to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive.
Old 10-29-2009

My mom, myself and 2 friends applied here in saint john, and we all got them back in 15 days, and that was just with in the last month.
Old 10-29-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerofeden View Post
I went up Wed. and I waited a half hour maybe a little less and the waitng period for the passports are 3 weeks.
Applying here in saint John approx. 13 weeks. Thats what we were told on wed.
Wow, really? I took my passport application into the Saint John office on Agar Place on Aug 6 (as per my credit card statement)and had it in my hands by regular mail on Aug 19th. It says it was issued Aug 17.
That's only a 13 day turnaround time, and I had no special rushes put on it, and since my previous passport was long expired, it was not a renewal. They asked me when I was traveling and I said oh, about October maybe, that I just wanted it to have it, not that I had set plans or anything. I'm thinking they pad the time estimates so you won't be calling bugging them after 10 days,
Old 10-29-2009

We did normal turnaround on 3 passports recently, less than 3 weeks for all. The Saint John service was pretty good, they make sure you have everything filled in properly. Unless it is a last minute trip, it's not worth the bother to go to Fredericton IMO.
Old 10-30-2009

Thanks all for the good info here...we're going to take ours to Service Canada the first of the week..
we miss our little trips to Mardens..LOL
Old 11-09-2009

Yes, it is quick enough to just go to service Canada or the unemployment building. It cost $90 and they check it out for you so you know if it will pass or if you need to fix something. They give you the receipt and you can call the number on it to check your status. I got mine in 3 weeks. I think it would have only been here a week earlier if I drove to Fredericton so not worth the drive. If you send it by mail it will take longer and if you made a mistake or if the picture has a glare you have to redo everything so it may take things even longer, much easier to have someone look it over first!!
Old 11-12-2009

The service at Service Canada is great...they told us it would be approx 3 weeks ..
Old 11-12-2009

Is this where i take mine too? Service canada?

Also, Does it cost to get the pics done?
Old 11-12-2009

Yep... Service Canada...the govt building at the foot of Waterloo Street...you have to get the pictures done yourself..we had ours taken at Walmart...they do them right away.
Old 11-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureChief88 View Post
Is this where i take mine too? Service canada?

Also, Does it cost to get the pics done?

Yes you can take it there. The picture depends on where you get it done, I got mine done at Superstore, didn't have to wait or book an appointment. Make sure they stamp the back of it and that there is no glare, not allowed to smile or show teeth, a complete mug shot!! It cost I think $13 taxes in.
Old 11-17-2009

Shoppers does passport pics also.
Old 11-18-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

How much does Shoppers charge?? I noticed at Superstore it's 9.99 +tax. The time it takes to get it back depends on how busy they are with any other business, they do tell you that it could take 6 weeks but lately most people I know have been getting them in 3. The dollar is really good now too and where Christmas is coming it might get busier, but most people probably already have their passports by now so that may not matter.
Old 11-19-2009

I think Shoppers charges $8.99, and you get them the same day