Spinal fusion :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 01-31-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Spinal fusion

Spinal fusion

Has anyone out there had spinal fusion done or know someone who has? I may need this surgery later this year and would like to hear from someone who has had it done. Has it helped or worsened your back pain? How long ago did you have surgery? Would you do it again if you had the option? Would you recommend it to someone else?

I haven't worked on a surgical ward for many many moons and I know the back surgeries have change significently since I worked with back patients. The thing is with working on surgical floors is, you see the patients immediately post op then you don't ever see them again so you never know if it has helped or not. I know years ago if you had back surgery, three or four years later when the scar tissue built up, you were back in for more surgery. Has it changed? No sense in asking doctors because they always say no. I want to hear from real people who have had it done. Thanks
Old 02-01-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing or not, but my mother has spinal stenosis and had surgery a couple of months ago. I am not sure of the exact details but basically they put wire mesh on her spine in between the joints. Her pain is somewhat more manageable, however, one of the results of the surgery was that she now has what they call a dropped foot. It is something that she will have to live with for the rest of her life. Also, they told her that the surgery is a temporary fix, that it might be good for a period of about 10 years, and that it is only a one time surgery. Since the surgery, especially because of the dropped foot, her mobility is a lot less.
Old 02-01-2010

Thanks Rhiley, yes it's the same surgery. I have stenosis as well as bulging discs in my back. From T12 right down to SI and my doctor thinks it's time now for surgery. I haven't worked for 11 years because of it. Now though the pain has become ulmost unmanageable. Still though I am hesitant about surgery. I am afraid once I start with the cutting it will worsen over time. I do recall years ago hearing about it helping for about 3 years then the pain comes back only worse.

I am sorry to hear about your mom. Is there any chance physio therapy would lessen the drop foot or is it nerve damage related? I'm thinking she would not be too much older than me.
Old 02-01-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

She had physio but as you mentioned it is nerve damage and there is nothing they can do. My mother is 56. She said that she probably wouldn't go through it again, if she had to.
Old 02-01-2010

I was right. She isn't much older than I am. I have been reluctant to have this surgery for years. It was offered to me back about 5 years ago but I declined because I have heard some bad things about it. maybe I can hold off for another 5 years. Thanks for the info Rhiley.
Old 02-03-2010

Does anyone have a good story of a good outcome following spinal fusion? Anyone?
Old 02-03-2010

My husband just had this done a yr ago. Hs pain isn't as bad but his back bothers him all the time. Of course he also has permenant nerve damage from the disc crushing the bottom of his spinal cord. He didn't have a choice on the surgury ..it had to be done,or he could have been paralzed. He has no regrets of having it done at all !! Who will be doing the surgury ?
Old 02-04-2010

I go see Dr. Mclean in two weeks and I believe the surgery will be by Dr. Wheelock if I decide to have it done. I am so on the fence about it
Old 02-04-2010

Well I don't know about those doctors but Dr. Abraham did my husbands and was an excellent dr.
Good luck ,with whatever decision you make .
Old 02-05-2010

I am glad your hubby is feeling better from having this surgery. Hopefully he will feel even better as time goes on and more healing takes place.

I am still hoping to put off surgery for another 5 years or so. It is just getting so bloody painful and I spend a lot of days taking too much pain medication and not really enjoying my life. I am way too young to feel this old.

Last edited by inuit; 02-05-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Old 02-05-2010

I am glad your hubby is feeling better from having this surgery. Hopefully he will feel even better as time goes on and more healing takes place.

I am still hoping to put off surgery for another 5 years or so. It is just getting so bloody painful and I spend a lot of days taking too much pain medication and not really enjoying my life. I am way too young to feel this old.
Old 02-05-2010

Yeah we're both hoping that he feels better as time goes on. He also is only young to be going through all this ,32 at time of surgury, and its really gonna suck if this gets worse over time !!!
Old 02-05-2010

Yeah we're both hoping that he feels better as time goes on. He also is only young to be going through all this ,32 at time of surgury, and its really gonna suck if this gets worse over time !!!
Old 02-05-2010

With nerve damage, sometimes the function will return over a peroid of 4 or 5 years. Let's hope so for his sake. He is so young. Was his back problem a result of an injury or accident?

Yeah, it is all about personal choice. I know of Dr. Wheelock but I can't remember his face.
Old 02-06-2010

Well,he has had a couple of MRI's and not only is there never damage ,they say its permenant,but we'll see,plus because of the fusion theres no cushion where thedisc used to be so its putting more impact on the other disc and he could possibly end up back in the hospital in a few yrs. All of this is because he slipped on ice and fell.
Old 02-06-2010

Isn't it astounding what something as simple as a slip and fall can do? And only to that person. I mean really how often do people slip and fall with nothing more than a bruised bum. Then someone like your hubby slips and does this to his back. You just never know, do you?