Blood donation :: Saint John, NB - Health & Wellness

Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Special iSJ Features: 
Shopping Mall
Links to dozens of sites
Online Flyers
Links to flyers for Sobeys, Superstore, Sears, drugstores, & many more retailers.
iSJ Paid Advertising
It's easy, effective, & affordable. Reach thousands of people for as little as $5.55 per week!
Search the web:

Featured Advertiser:

Naturally for Life - the eco store (NOW OPEN)! We offer an excellent selection of eco-friendly and fair-trade products, knowledge, and superior customer service!

Advertise Here

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > Other Discussion > Health & Wellness

Old 07-21-2009
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

Default Topic: Blood donation

Blood donation

DO they still prick your finger to take blood? I would donate but I can't for some reason let them do that again, I gave blood twice and on the third try I found i had totally lost my nerve and could not let them do that. I never gave again. If they would take my blood without doing that, I would donate. It is definitely irrational, but that's my situation. I also have a useful blood type, O +, which apparently can give to anyone but only receive from O+.

Please DONT TELL ME IT DOESNT HURT, IT DARN WELL DOES. It does not however hurt when they stick the needle in my arm. Why can't they test for iron then?
Old 07-22-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Yep, they still prick your finger. I agree, for me it is the worst part about donation, but it's worth it knowing that I may be saving a life...
Old 07-22-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

I hear ya. I am diabetic and hate to poke my fingers. It does hurt. Not just poke time but for some time after too. I got a different type of glucose tester though so now I poke my inner arm instead. That's better.

It's too bad you hate the poke so bad trinity. Your blood type is badly needed. The universal donor is O- actually. They can give to anyone. O+ can give to any + blood type but cannot give to a - person. AB+ is the universal recepient. They can take blood from anyone + or -. The + means the blood is RH factor + while the - means the blood is RH factor -.The hardest type to be is O- because they can only accept from another O-. The O+ is pretty hard too but they can take from another O + or -.Still not much choices. Trinity if you ever need elective surgery, you might consider getting some of your own blood put aside in case you need it.

They test for iron during the finger poke because the finger poke is much less invasive than the needle in the vein. Cheaper too. One lancet as opposed to a needle.

Funny thing is for 3 years I went every 6 months to donate blood but EVERY time I went was refused because I had: (1) taken asprin within the previous 24 hours. (2) had a tooth out (3) gotten my ears peirced (4) just gotten ove a cold (5) was on antibiotics. I finally decided the big guy didn't want me to give blood so I gave up trying. All I had to show for my efforts was sore fingers. LOL

Last edited by inuit; 07-22-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 07-22-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Last edited by sassy-shortie; 07-22-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigold View Post
Yep, they still prick your finger. I agree, for me it is the worst part about donation, but it's worth it knowing that I may be saving a life...
Sorry, not for me, I physically CANNOT hold my hand out there, I try to control it but I keep jerking it away. I know my blood type is needed and the only way they will ever get it again is to not prick my finger. I've tried looking away, biting my lip so one pain will hide the other and I just can't leave my hand there.

Last edited by trinity; 07-22-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Old 07-22-2009

inuit...
What kind of meter do u have? I have heard about a few of them, are they accurate? is it really less painful? Are they expensive? Sorry to hijack but I need a new one soon! LOL Are you on insulin inuit? If you are you cannot donate blood.

And Trinity
Yes they still do the finger poke, and I know it hurts, but could you maybe think/do something for that split second to take your mind off it?? I know myself I either start reciting poetry, or sing a song or think about the pile of laundry that needs to be done at home. lol.. PLEASE I urged you to try it and donate blood, each time you donate you could be saving 5 people's lives! You would be a hero! LOL
I am a donor freak! LOL My dad has over 450 donations now and is still going strong! I have just under 100, and as soon as I am cleared by the dr I will be back to donating every week again!!! (dad and I are both on the plasma program that is why we can donate every week if we want)
Old 07-22-2009

No way, they either skip the poke or skip the liter of blood. My body, my rules. I can't even make myself think about pulling into the parking lot; it's been years.

Last edited by trinity; 07-22-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Old 07-22-2009

I am sorry it bothers you so much Trinity, but at least know that you are not alone, there are so many other people out there that won't donate because of the finger pricking (my mom included) Hopefully some day they might have a different way to do it and then you can donate blood. Have you tried calling the CBS and asking them if there is any other way to do it to avoid the finger pricking? Maybe they could do it in your arm or toe or something less painful? I don't know. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2009

Miz, I use the freestyle mini. I haven't poked my fingers in years. The freestyle mini requires such a tiny drop of blood that it can be taken from the arm, leg, palm or even earlobe. I always prick my arm. The space between my elbow and wrist on back. It is absolutely accurate and I swear to God it is completely painless. No I don't use insulin. Until I lost 80 pounds, I was taking glucophage daily but now my sugars are completely normal so I don't take any meds for it. I stopped trying to give blood many years ago. Never had any luck. Thank God for people like you and your Dad. You are so appreciated and needed.

Trinity, have you discussed this with the blood collection staff? There may be a way around your issue. It wouldn't hurt to ask. They may take it from your vein if the poke causes you to avoid giving. Your blood type is so needed. Good luck with that and please let us know how you make out. There may be others out there with the same issues.

You know Trinity, when I worked in the ER and had to give children needles, sometimes we put a numbing agent on the spot where we would inject them. It took about 10 minutes or so for the freezing to take effect but it made the poke painless. That might be an idea too. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2009

thanks inuit for the info on the testing machine, I will definatly look for it this week! THANKS!
Old 07-23-2009

The machine is free when you buy the testing strips. Be prepared to PAY for the strips though. A box of 100 costs about 80 bucks or so. That's why the machine is free. I think most all of the strips cost that now. I have 2 or 3 different testing machines.
Old 07-24-2009

Thanks inuit!
yea i am paying around 60-80 for the test stripes for my other machine now. lol Depends on where you get them. Did u know if you buy through a medical supplier they are cheaper? At least that is what I heard.
Old 07-24-2009

I don't know. You may get them cheaper that way. Anything you save is a help these days.

When you need more strips just go to your pharmasist and ask about the mini. You need to fill out a small form and buy the strips and he will give you the mini for free. I was so happy to not to have to poke my poor sore fingers anymore. Oh yeah, it's really easy to use too. Good for me because I am definately techno-illiterate. LOL

Oh yeah, if anything goes wrong with either the tester or the lancet device, all you have to do is call them and they will courier you a new whatever. I broke my lancet device and they couriered me a new one in two days.
Old 07-24-2009

Miz, someone is selling the whole thing on here for 100 bucks. Sounds like a deal if you don't have drug coverage.
Old 07-24-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

My mother is a diabetic, and whatever machine she uses you can't even feel it. She has checked mine a few times and I didn't feel a thing.
Old 07-25-2009

thanks inuit!
If I were closer to SJ I would definatly buy it, but I live in Nackawic now. Thanks for thinking of me though! And if I can find out about getting the strips through a medical supplier cheaper I will let you know!