Costco - So what does everyone think? Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 06-05-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: Costco - So what does everyone think?

Costco - So what does everyone think?

of the new Costco Store??
I was very impressed...love the produce room!
Great, fast service at the check-outs...
Old 06-05-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I find it overwhelming. I went there for an hour yesterday and I was so tired I could hardly stay on the treadmill at the gym after. Even though I knew exactly what I wanted, and bought only that, it was hard to find some stuff because it is not laid out exactly like the one in Moncton. Do they HAVE a store map that says "clothes/hardware/paper products/candy" are in aisle XYZ? I do in general enjoy their signature Kirkland products-cereal, pop, vitamins, spices etc. I did find the staff fairly nice and helpful. I already had to do a return of a defective movie and that took forever, I was behind one man who was returning cases of powerade and I was standing a good 20 minutes. We got to my return and it took no time at all, (even with no receipt), so I don't know what was wrong with juice-man's return.
Old 06-05-2010

I find it is just opposite Moncton, so once I got a feel for it I knew my way around no problem.
Old 06-05-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

costco

I have not as of yet been there, decided awhile back I would let it go for a month or so to let it calm down a little, being the first in door is not on my bucket list

Since then I was a bit disappointed that I could not go in and walk around to "check it out" if you don't have a membership you can't get in the door (there was a letter to the editor about this) I seem to remember being able to walk into the Moncton one, however I guess not in Saint John.........

I did question the manager about this and he did tell be if it was not busy......they would give you a guided tour, and if you were unhappy with the store/products right up to 364 days of membership they would refund your membership. so that's fine.

Since then however I am finding, in talking to the manager and others there product selection does not seem to work for me. I am a creature of habit, I am not interested in buying cheaper products, I am interested in buying the products I buy cheaper and so far they don't seem to carry enough of the products I buy to make it worth my while.

Now if I was in the market for a 60 inch lcd TV and theirs was 200 dollars cheaper then the membership would be worth it just for the savings on the one item but I find most of the "big ticket" items are not that much cheaper. On the day to day stuff they have to sell most of my brands and cheaper to make it worth while.

my 2 cents worth
Bill
Old 06-05-2010

Love it. I ended up going on the 1st day it opened and it wasn't that bad, I expected it to be alot busier but not bad. My fave thing about it is the Produce/baked goods & meat selection, very nice. Good job Costco staff, good job.

Vix
Old 06-05-2010

My brother got a Costco membership (the $100 dollar one) last tax return season and bought a 51 inch LCD HDTV at the Costco in Moncton. Even after the cost of the membership, gas to go up there and back etc, he still saved a bit over 150 bucks over the cheapest 51 inch LCD HDTV he could find in town. The year before that, he bought a 10000 BTU air conditioner from the Moncton Costco and saved over 100 bucks compared to the cheapest price of a comparable air conditioner in town. I like the Costco in town. Nice wide aisles, plenty of stock so they won't run out of something that's a special buy (like the 2x24 cases of pop) and there always seems to be staff close by if you need help finding something. I just hope some of the smaller businesses around town like On The Vine don't end up going out of business because of it.
Old 06-06-2010
**Silver-Level** Paid Account

I don't think it will affect places like On the Vine; for me for example I shop, cook, and eat for ONE, and don't have a freezer, so Costco's bucket o salad, half a pig in shrink wrap, and 12 packs of peppers doesn't work for me, I buy on an as-needed basis for perishables. I did go in and buy the big 24 pack of TP and got the 12 Majesta tissues for free; but it is going to cause me some storage issues for a while since the pk of tp is twice the size of my bathroom storage cupboard.
Old 06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have not as of yet been there, decided awhile back I would let it go for a month or so to let it calm down a little, being the first in door is not on my bucket list

Since then I was a bit disappointed that I could not go in and walk around to "check it out" if you don't have a membership you can't get in the door (there was a letter to the editor about this) I seem to remember being able to walk into the Moncton one, however I guess not in Saint John.........

I did question the manager about this and he did tell be if it was not busy......they would give you a guided tour, and if you were unhappy with the store/products right up to 364 days of membership they would refund your membership. so that's fine.

Since then however I am finding, in talking to the manager and others there product selection does not seem to work for me. I am a creature of habit, I am not interested in buying cheaper products, I am interested in buying the products I buy cheaper and so far they don't seem to carry enough of the products I buy to make it worth my while.

Now if I was in the market for a 60 inch lcd TV and theirs was 200 dollars cheaper then the membership would be worth it just for the savings on the one item but I find most of the "big ticket" items are not that much cheaper. On the day to day stuff they have to sell most of my brands and cheaper to make it worth while.

my 2 cents worth
Bill
You actually can get a visitor's pass. I was there yesterday (NEVER going Costco on a Saturday again, ever) You go to the customer service desk, you get a visitor's pass there, even if it's busy. Then you can go browse, you just can't buy anything.
Old 06-06-2010

Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_scott View Post
You actually can get a visitor's pass. I was there yesterday (NEVER going Costco on a Saturday again, ever) You go to the customer service desk, you get a visitor's pass there, even if it's busy. Then you can go browse, you just can't buy anything.
Nice to know, it must not be very well advertised (hence the letter to the editor in the newspaper by the women that couldn't get in to browse and was quite upset) When I spoke to the manager he didn't mention this either. I will give it a try this week on my day off, should not be that crazy on a weekday morning..........

Bill
Old 06-06-2010

It might be something new just because people got upset that they had to buy a membership just to see what kind of products they had. Good idea about a week day, I'll never go on the weekend again. I honestly have never seen a parking lot as crazy as it was yesterday. Take the hospital on a week day, add in Christmas shopping at Walmart, add them together and times it by 5.
Old 06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew_scott View Post
It might be something new just because people got upset that they had to buy a membership just to see what kind of products they had. Good idea about a week day, I'll never go on the weekend again. I honestly have never seen a parking lot as crazy as it was yesterday. Take the hospital on a week day, add in Christmas shopping at Walmart, add them together and times it by 5.
That would probably explain why there were like 40 cars with people sitting in them this morning about 45 minutes before Costco opened..... :| Ya know it's gonna be a busy day when....lol
Old 06-06-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Just a note to Bill...

It's the same in the Moncton store as here. You can't just walk in and look around. You have to get a visitors pass first, and as previously mentioned with the visitor's pass you can't buy anything. Just browse.
Old 06-06-2010

Here is an example of a fantastic buy. Spenda sweetner, the stores here sell a box of 200 for $9.99, Costco sells a box of 700 for $21.99, so just that alone it is like getting 300 Splenda for free.
Old 06-06-2010

Actually Walmart sells splenda cheaper. If you buy the walmart brand (value, I think) it is 3 dollars cheaper than the same size bag of splenda at either Cosco or Sobeys or Superstore. I find the individual splenda packets cheaper at the bulk barn.

The propane tank fill up at Cosco is a little over 11 dollars as opposed to Irving that charges 26 dollars. Maybe we will see some better deals now at Sobeys and Superstore now with some competition in town.
Old 06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
The propane tank fill up at Cosco is a little over 11 dollars as opposed to Irving that charges 26 dollars.

It actually can work out cheaper than that. At Costco they wiegh the tank first. If there is any gas left, then you only pay for what they give you. I brought in a tank last week, and it only came to $9.10 plust the tax.

Most places just charge you a flat rate. Even if the tank is half full, you pay for a full tank anyway.

I can see some changes coming around here for the better for the consumer. If not I think you will see a few businesses closing there doors.

Not that I want to see that happen, But I go where I get the best bang for my buck!
Old 06-07-2010

I love Costco, but I will still buy my meat at On the Vine.
Old 06-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuit View Post
Actually Walmart sells splenda cheaper. If you buy the walmart brand (value, I think) it is 3 dollars cheaper than the same size bag of splenda at either Cosco or Sobeys or Superstore. I find the individual splenda packets cheaper at the bulk barn.

The propane tank fill up at Cosco is a little over 11 dollars as opposed to Irving that charges 26 dollars. Maybe we will see some better deals now at Sobeys and Superstore now with some competition in town.
I don't like the no name stuff it leaves an after taste, so no the Splenda is not cheaper at Walmart, also the Bulk Barn does not sell Splenda Bulk, they have sugar twin and sweet n low, so again, no they dont sell Splenda cheaper either. Trust me we have been using Splenda for quite a few years, and it can not be bought any cheaper than at Costco's, not even in the USA.
Old 06-07-2010

I can't understand how a large company like Costco won't take Visa. I put everything on Visa to get my travel points. If it wasn't for that, we'd probably do most of our grocery shopping there, but until their policy for accepting Visa changes (if it ever does), I'll continue to go to Sobey's for my everyday groceries, and do a monthly Costco visit for the stuff we stock up on (because the savings on that stuff are greater than what I get back on my travel Visa anyways.)
Old 06-07-2010

I know they try and keep costs down to "pass savings on to the customer", but come on, even the dollar store takes visa and mastercard, lol
Old 06-07-2010

I dont like it. I, too, found it very overwhelming trinity. Then again, i have never been in a costco before so maybe this is why. I dont like the abundance of selection, just because i find it very hard to focus on the task at hand. Not to mention it's busier than walmart. Im not a huge shopper anyways. I dont like large stores or large groups of people, so maybe i am a bit bias.

I didnt find the deals that great. they had a "few" deals.. But with a store that size you would think there would be more offered. U have to watch (just like any place) what your buying and if its really worth it.

I also buy produce and whatnot on an as needed basis. I could buy bulk for these items (feeding a family of 6) but i find WE dont even use them fast enough. And im not sure if its the packaging or amount of time they spend on the shelf but i find they go bad very quickly. I bought some cherries there the other day (friday) and when i went to put some in my lunch today half of them were bad. Not very impressive.

I find it extremely odd that the only form of credit they take is AMEX. Seems odd.