lien on house General: Discussion

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Discussion

Old 11-18-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: lien on house

lien on house

Does any one know anything about the government putting a lien on a house you buy if you are on welfare. and if they do that , Why.
I guess that the way things are in this country if you are poor you are to stay that way and not allowed to better your self
Old 11-19-2010

I would say the lien would possibly be so that if you sell and make profit they might take it if they are paying the mortgage (so to speak if on assistance).

Call the bank/company you are dealing with...or a lawyer, they can tell you more .
Old 11-19-2010
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

If I am not mistaken, you cannot buy a house while you are on welfare. The way they look at it is why should taxpayers buy you a house. Welfare is supposed to be a temporary fix to get a person back on their feet. If they are in a financial situation that they can buy a house then they don't need welfare.
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneb View Post
I guess that the way things are in this country if you are poor you are to stay that way and not allowed to better your self

You know sometimes it does feel like that. However, no one is preventing you from bettering yourself. If you want to change the situation you're in than you need to go out and find your opportunities, because unfortunately when "opportunity comes knocking"; it doesn't come knocking at your door.
Old 11-19-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

The mistake in orginal post was "house you buy". You haven't bought anything WE HAVE!
Old 11-19-2010

Lightbulb Topic: lien on house

Quote:
Originally Posted by KET View Post
The mistake in orginal post was "house you buy". You haven't bought anything WE HAVE!

Well now he knows where to go when he needs repairs done.....LOL
Old 11-19-2010

all in all i think that there are two set of rules , if i am paying a landloard 700 or more amonth to live no one says "how can you afford that on welfare"
but if some how i did manage to buy my own home and paid the same amount
then it is turned the other way "if you can buy a house then you dont need to be on welfare"
anwser that one
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
all in all i think that there are two set of rules , if i am paying a landloard 700 or more amonth to live no one says "how can you afford that on welfare"
then it is turned the other way "if you can buy a house then you dont need to be on welfare"
anwser that one

I'll answer that... if you rent for lets say 20 years at the end of the 20 years you don't end up with an asset payed for by the taxpayers. The money you are spending on rent is provided by the taxpayers so that you have suitable shelter over your head because we certainly wouldn't want to see you and your babies on the street, but, when it comes to buying a house and gaining a viable asset why should it be on our dime?

I rent... pay over a $1000 a month for my house, my wife and I both work, unfortunately even though I could afford a mortgage, my financial situation doesn't allow me to have one. So if I can't, and many others like me can't, why should you be able to off of our hard earned money?
Old 11-19-2010

I have to say I also agree that you should not be able to buy a house on welfare. As the other poster said once the mortgage is paid off, you could in turn sell the house and make a potentially huge profit. I don't believe that is the intention of welfare.
I thought it was meant as a temporary means of help until your situation changes.
And there is a big difference between paying rent and paying a mortgage. Who is going to pay the water/sewage, property taxes and maintenance associated with owning a home?
Old 11-19-2010

Assistance isn't meant to be used as a savings plan, which essentially is what those who use it to purchase a home would be doing.

Is it possible for people who own homes to apply for assistance?

I think that if they put a lien on the mortgage it's because you're basically getting free rent or putting away for retirement. All the money you spend will come back to you.
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
anwser that one
It's ridiculous to even ask this question! Don't forget about water taxes, land taxes, repairs, upkeep, or should the Goverment (tax Payers) just pay for those aswell! Not to mention your 5% down, if you got that kind of money, then mabey you should rethink your current situation! Now I'm not knocking anyone on welfare, but this way of thinking gets my goat! Expect a lot of negativity from this post! Mabey when your there picking up your money for the house, see if they got a little extra kicking around for an Esclade (not the fully loaded model mind ya).

Last edited by T-Diddy; 11-19-2010 at 07:39 PM..
Old 11-19-2010

yes it is the tax payers money, but on the other hand i worked for 35 years and payed into that system now i am only getting back what i put in
nose to thegrind knows who i am
i am not out to rip any one off just to try and make my kids life a little better
if you dont agree with this to bad

Last edited by puppyluv; 11-21-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 11-19-2010

Quote:
yes it is the tax payers money, but on the other hand i worked for 35 years and payed into that system now i am only getting back what i put in
nose to thegrind knows who i am
i am not out to rip any one off just to try and make my kids life a little better
if you dont agree with this to bad
I hate to break it to you, but none of us ever get as much back as we put in! How does living in a house make your children's lives better? I'm not knocking you, it's just that thinking you can afford a home while on welfare is not a workable solution!

Last edited by puppyluv; 11-21-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Old 11-19-2010

One of the first of many qualifiers for a mortgage is to be employed (by an employer) in the same line of work for many months.
There are rent to own options out there but many of them are at a high cost or require that you be able to setup a mortgage after 36 or so months.
Old 11-20-2010

Last edited by asco11; 11-20-2010 at 02:02 AM..
Old 11-20-2010

I'm not sure how this works. I do know people who are on IA and own houses but they owned their houses before they were on IA so not sure how that works. I would suggest that if you want a house to better your kids look into Habitat for Humanity homes. You put 500 hours of work into it and they give you a low mortgage based on your income. I'm not sure if you are on IA if you can apply for this kind of house but it wouldn't hurt looking into it. I feel for you cause I know first hand how bad people will judge you for being on IA. I was on it for over 5 years due to an illness where I needed many surgeries and couldn't work at the time. I was also a single mom. People looked down on me all the time and it was very hard. Everyone's situation is different and people shouldn't judge till they walk a mile in your shoes but unfortunately people nowadays aren't that generous. I now have a full-time job that I have had for a 1.5 years and I also work a seasonal part-time job. I am no further ahead than when I was on IA cause I had to purchase expensive medical supplies on credit cards before I got on IA and got health coverage. Now all my money goes to paying that off and trying to pay my rent, heat and food. I know how it feels to want to get my kid something better. I live in an apartment building but I would love to live in a house with a backyard and where I could have a dog. Can't have a dog here. Those two things are the only things I really want something many others take for granted. I wish I could work more jobs like 2 or 3 all year round to get myself out of this situation but my health will not allow it. It sucks but sometimes life sucks! Right now I try to be just grateful that I can work again and people aren't judging for being on IA. Sorry for writing a book but I guess I just wanted to let you know that there are non-judgmental people out there who understand how you feel. Good luck and I really hope you can find a way to get to a place where you and your kids feel better.
Old 11-20-2010

I don't think the replies on this thread are being judgmental. A question was asked, and an answer was given.

A question that pops up in my mind is if you worked for 35 years and contributed into the system why do you think it's owed to you now? With that logic, we should all work for about 35 yrs and then retire early and allow the working class to buy us what we need. That sounds like a great plan!
Old 11-20-2010

Works for me !!!! LOL
Old 11-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Pop View Post
I'm not sure how this works. I do know people who are on IA and own houses but they owned their houses before they were on IA so not sure how that works. I would suggest that if you want a house to better your kids look into Habitat for Humanity homes. You put 500 hours of work into it and they give you a low mortgage based on your income. I'm not sure if you are on IA if you can apply for this kind of house but it wouldn't hurt looking into it. I feel for you cause I know first hand how bad people will judge you for being on IA. I was on it for over 5 years due to an illness where I needed many surgeries and couldn't work at the time. I was also a single mom. People looked down on me all the time and it was very hard. Everyone's situation is different and people shouldn't judge till they walk a mile in your shoes but unfortunately people nowadays aren't that generous. I now have a full-time job that I have had for a 1.5 years and I also work a seasonal part-time job. I am no further ahead than when I was on IA cause I had to purchase expensive medical supplies on credit cards before I got on IA and got health coverage. Now all my money goes to paying that off and trying to pay my rent, heat and food. I know how it feels to want to get my kid something better. I live in an apartment building but I would love to live in a house with a backyard and where I could have a dog. Can't have a dog here. Those two things are the only things I really want something many others take for granted. I wish I could work more jobs like 2 or 3 all year round to get myself out of this situation but my health will not allow it. It sucks but sometimes life sucks! Right now I try to be just grateful that I can work again and people aren't judging for being on IA. Sorry for writing a book but I guess I just wanted to let you know that there are non-judgmental people out there who understand how you feel. Good luck and I really hope you can find a way to get to a place where you and your kids feel better.
You can not be on IA and apply for Habitat. You have to be working.
Old 11-20-2010

I'm amazed people still are brave enough to bring up IA on here, this never ever ends well!
And they're right though, if on IA, you shouldn't be buying a house.