This Grinds my Gears! Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 03-11-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: This Grinds my Gears!

This Grinds my Gears!

Did anybody else read the article in todays paper about the lady who lost over $2000.00 after making a deal on another web site to purchase two bull dogs. Well, as it turns out this lady has six children and is receiving welfare (and believe me I'm not knocking people on welfare, because only by the grace of God go I), but if she has $2000.00 to spend on buldog puppies......should she really be receiving goverment money? And then she has the audacity to go to the media about being "Ripped Off"......who's ripping off who here?.....I'm sorry , but she is not getting any sympthy from me, and I for one hope that the department of social services gets wind of that story and investigates her. She even states in the article that she "took the money from her children to buy these dogs"!

Last edited by T-Diddy; 03-11-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 03-11-2009

I just read that...first off I couldn't believe that someone could get caught up in one of those African scams..are there no dogs left to buy around here?
and to top it off she spent over $2,000.00!! and she's on Welfare! What in hell was she thinking..?
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Diddy View Post
Did anybody read in todays paper about the lady who lost over $2000.00 after making a deal on another web site to purchase two bull dogs. Well, as it turns out this lady is receiving welfare (and believe me I'm not knocking people on welfare, because only by the grace of God go I), but if she has $2000.00 to spend on buldog puppies......should she really be receiving goverment money? And then she has the audacity to go to the media about being "Ripped Off"......who's ripping off who here?.....I'm sorry , but she is not getting any sympthy from me, and I for one hope that the department of social services gets wind of that story and investigates her.
great post! I agree with it all.
Old 03-11-2009

so I'm confused, who got ripped off the 2k, her or us?
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcb View Post
so I'm confused, who got ripped off the 2k, her or us?
Not trying to rag on people on assistance by any means, but if she was able to save up 2k from it, she should have bought a dog from the animal shelter and put the other 1900 in an RESP for her kid or something.
Old 03-11-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.c...article/599319

I am speechless! The audacity...
Old 03-11-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Crazy!! She actually took money from her kids too, probably support payments. This woman needs help and it's not financial, she already has pets and six kids?? What was she thinking??
Old 03-11-2009

Tom Young is going to be talking about it on the Afternoon News today News 88.9 He always rips into the people that go thru with these scams..should be funny. Call in and say how stupid she is on air!!
Old 03-11-2009

I read that article and shook my head as well.
Old 03-11-2009

I am pretty much speechless! This is just apalling!!!! I sometimes struggle to pay my rent and this woman on WELFARE can blow $2000 on dogs!! Disgusting!!!
Old 03-11-2009

These scams work because it only takes 1 in a million people dumb enough to fall for it, to have it work out. $2,000 for someone in Africa is pretty good work, especially if they were running the same scam with a bunch of others.

Is it just me, or would anyone else not run to the RCMP and papers after doing something so stupid? If the officer taking down the information didn't curse her out or start laughing he/she deserves the Order of Canada.
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripekv View Post
Tom Young is going to be talking about it on the Afternoon News today News 88.9 He always rips into the people that go thru with these scams..should be funny. Call in and say how stupid she is on air!!
He really didn't get into it....he just read the article to his listeners, and then said "there's a thousand ways I could go with this story...so I just leave it at that!" But you could tell he was discusted by it as well!
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2sweethearts View Post
Crazy!! She actually took money from her kids too, probably support payments. This woman needs help and it's not financial, she already has pets and six kids?? What was she thinking??
What was she thinking? She has SIX kids, on welfare, she gets $300 a month for each in family allowance.... that's $1800 a month.... plus welfare payment. Something tells me she's got some coin to spare. I can't believe someone would be so selfish, and it puts those who NEED help in a bad position.
Old 03-11-2009

This is no different than Octo-mom!!!!

I don't get where they get that kind of money to do these expensive things when they are living off the system!!!!! People who work can't afford the things these people somehow manage to obtain!! GRRRRRRRRR!
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
What was she thinking? She has SIX kids, on welfare, she gets $300 a month for each in family allowance.... that's $1800 a month.... plus welfare payment. Something tells me she's got some coin to spare. I can't believe someone would be so selfish, and it puts those who NEED help in a bad position.
Then why is did she use her childrens money if she has "coin to spare"?? That was what she said in the article. So she not only used the welfare money (taxpayers) but her own children to pay for this scam. That is what disgusts me the most about this!!

Last edited by momof2sweethearts; 03-11-2009 at 03:40 PM..
Old 03-11-2009

The system is designed to keep people there. People on welfare, with several kids are better off than someone who makes $30000 a year and tries to do things the right way.

If you don't believe me here is a break down(based on family of 4 kids)

Welfare 1045/mth
Child Tax 1100/mth
CCB 400/mth

That's 2545/mth

That also include full health benefits.

Now take someone that makes GOOD money:

Net Income 550/wk = 2200/mth
Child Tax 600/mth

You do the math. Not much incentive to get off the system.
Old 03-11-2009

Don't forget about child care.....when people go to work they have to pay babysetters, daycares, ect....the system is seriously flawed. A person on welfare would also get the GST rebate, wheras a person bringing home 550 beans a week would not qualify for it.
Old 03-11-2009

her home has her 6 kids, 2 dogs already, cats, her and her boyfriend...sure they need 2 more animals... *sarcasm*
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Diddy View Post
Don't forget about child care.....when people go to work they have to pay babysetters, daycares, ect....the system is seriously flawed. A person on welfare would also get the GST rebate, wheras a person bringing home 550 beans a week would not qualify for it.
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Old 03-11-2009

Technically any single mother on welfare is entitled to a 2000$ balance in her bank account without receiving penalty or question as to who or where she got the money from. Single mothers are also allowed to make 200$ a month on top of what they get whether it be from working or from having a boarder.

Now I'm not saying that its appropriate to drain said "savings" for puppies but at the same time she is not going to be in any sort of "trouble" for doing so. I always ask myself when i hear these stories how we have yet to create some form of "back to school" legislation as is done in other provinces. Nova Scotia is finally forcing long term recipients whose kids are attending school to go back to school or get a job. Same in BC if im not mistaking.

Going out and getting a job is not enough to support this family. So maybe she should think about jobs and skills training, NBCC, or UNBSJ. I hate to assume that all of these types of people are of low intelligence and will be a drain for eternity...here is to hoping lol

I wanted to clarify about childcare tho. Not all welfare recipients recieve daycare assistance. My daughter struggled as a single parent in universisty and they REFUSED to give her daycare assistance and made her take out an extra 3000$ a year in loans just to cover it. Worst part is that the statue of limitation for claiming childcare runs out after 5 years.
Bottom line when she is done she will be paying by allllllll that money not even to be able to claim it like you or I could.
So yes the system is seriously flawed even for those working hard to make it in this world!