This Grinds my Gears! Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 03-11-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: This Grinds my Gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2sweethearts View Post
Then why is did she use her childrens money if she has "coin to spare"?? That was what she said in the article. So she not only used the welfare money (taxpayers) but her own children to pay for this scam. That is what disgusts me the most about this!!

family allowance is allocated for children - hence children's money.

You pretty much said what I said so your post... I don't even know what to say about it.
Old 03-11-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

article also says she shares her home with her boyfriend ....lol .... welfare or living common-law ...im thinking she will regret this article
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazingsun View Post

I wanted to clarify about childcare tho. Not all welfare recipients recieve daycare assistance. My daughter struggled as a single parent in universisty and they REFUSED to give her daycare assistance and made her take out an extra 3000$ a year in loans just to cover it. Worst part is that the statue of limitation for claiming childcare runs out after 5 years.
Bottom line when she is done she will be paying by allllllll that money not even to be able to claim it like you or I could.
So yes the system is seriously flawed even for those working hard to make it in this world!
What happened to your daughter is disgusting and unfair
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by donteatrawpotatoes View Post
family allowance is allocated for children - hence children's money.

You pretty much said what I said so your post... I don't even know what to say about it.
Yes, but I don't believe she mentioned using family allowance, just that she used her childrens money, maybe her 11 yr old shovels driveways and mows lawns?? I wasn't arguing with you though so that could be why you don't know what to say
Old 03-11-2009

Actually I read what I originally wrote and what you wrote about what was she thinking?? and you said she has coin to spare. I don't think anything you wrote was the same as mine. More like why not?? since she had welfare, family allowance etc. or maybe I misunderstood you. My point was how could she bring more pets into the mix with six children and pets already and for the cost of $2000 on top and using her childrens money (where that money came from like I said, I don't know) but with all the money she receives, if she can't afford to buy the dogs on her own she had no business using theirs, in my opinion
Old 03-11-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

Welfare and family allowance are allocated funds to care for your children. Therefore, children's money, so to speak.
Old 03-11-2009

Is this chicky from here in SJ or somewhere else in Canada? I've never heard of this story until now...
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiley_08j View Post
Welfare and family allowance are allocated funds to care for your children. Therefore, children's money, so to speak.
O.k. but regardless of where the money from her kids came from (family allowance or elsewhere) isn't the bottom line the same. Though I never did worry about the exact place it came from, read my first post, only saying how disgusted I was that she admitted to using her childrens money, where this whole other debate started about where the money came from was not me!! She basically put the 2 dogs before her 6 children, even mentioning using her childrens money was the admittance part. She obviously didn't have coin to spare or is acting like she doesn't perhaps for added sympathy but it only makes her look worse.

Last edited by momof2sweethearts; 03-12-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Old 03-11-2009
Member (< 100 posts)

When i was reading this story up until i got to the part where she was on the fare-well, i kind of felt bad for her.Who in their right mind would even think of doing this in her situation.My husband works flippin hard and makes not bad money,we have 2 kids and no pets.I wouldnt even dream of taking our (not the goverments)money and doing this.I definately have more pride then to advertise in the newpaper that if and when those puppies get to the airport i would need to pawn my rings for gas money.Hope her kids make better choices in life than that.
Old 03-11-2009

Blazing sun, you posted this:

"Now I'm not saying that its appropriate to drain said "savings" for puppies but at the same time she is not going to be in any sort of "trouble" for doing so. I always ask myself when i hear these stories how we have yet to create some form of "back to school" legislation as is done in other provinces. Nova Scotia is finally forcing long term recipients whose kids are attending school to go back to school or get a job. Same in BC if im not mistaking."

They are actually beginning to force people here in Saint John to get a job or go back to school also. At some point, it will be a do or die situation from what I was lead to believe. Either you get work, go to school or you are cut off from welfare all together. It just started I believe in the new year and they are supposed to go after the people who are on assistance that are without children first to try to get them going and then they will start pressing the people who have children. If it hasn't started, it will because I hear it at a group I was in a couple years ago that it was coming and to my knowledge they have begun to implement it. It will probably be a slow starting process....there are a lot of people on the system!!

Then you said this:

"I wanted to clarify about childcare tho. Not all welfare recipients recieve daycare assistance. My daughter struggled as a single parent in universisty and they REFUSED to give her daycare assistance and made her take out an extra 3000$ a year in loans just to cover it."

This I find horrible!! They want you to get of the system but they will not help you along the way? Blazingsun, did she except a full loan or just the amount for her tution?

From what I understood, if you only except the tution costs and not living expenses you can still recieve benefits through assistance...you would think they would help with child care if you go that route because you obviously don't have extra money if you go the way of only asking for tution costs. Even if you did get living expenses, it may be different now but when I was in univeristy (1999) what they give for living expenses...doesn't pay rent, grocery bills and everything on top of it, so I dunno how you pay all that and child care with living costs!!! Maybe your daughter has one of those cranky workers who won't do anything for her or offer her any suggestions to what is available to her, there are some workers that are like that for whatever reason???!!!

Our education system sucks!! I heard in maybe it was switzerland or somewhere that sounds the same that they go to university for free....just like we do elementary and up to high school. Too bad they wouldn't help a person out and even cut the costs way down here,,,but no...they are gonna put it up another 25% cuz we all have that kind of money laying around right and they expect people to get off the system? HA yea, and then right into huge debts!!!
Old 03-11-2009

SO frustrating!

I'm a SAHM & my husband is on parental leave & is getting 55% of his income from EI. Besides that, the only other funds coming in is child tax, which def. gets eaten up on diapers, formula, baby food etc.

& you know what? We're doing fine! We have plenty of cash to do the things we always did. Granted, we had a pretty simple lifestyle to begin with [no car, are not big spenders] but we go to the movies, eat out, go out for drinks, buy smaller frivolous items...we have hi-speed, cable, ipods, a flat screen tv, nice furniture. Yes, we had some of things before we had our child, but even then I was a "house wife" & not bringing in any income.

So it's frustrating when people are on assistance & complain about being broke or poor & yet I hear they spend their money on things like dogs or completely unnecessary things. Our household certainly has less income right now than a single mom with a couple of kids that's on assistance...& yet we're doing alright.

I'm fine with the welfare system, when it's working. But there are SO many people abusing it. We were on welfare for several years when I was growing up & I remember how tight money was. My mom was trying to get a better education so she could go back to work & provide for us, which she eventually did. I was young, so I can't really speak to what it was like back then, but it SEEMS to me that now it's beneficial to be on welfare. Yes, I guess it's always beneficial, getting free money, but I think they give much more now than back then...& I don't mean simply because of inflation. In the 80's, maybe scrimping & saving & having nothing left over was motivation to get work & make a decent wage, whereas if the payout is larger now, there's not as much of a rush to get off of assistance?

Last edited by Nita; 03-11-2009 at 08:14 PM..
Old 03-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano View Post
When i was reading this story up until i got to the part where she was on the fare-well, i kind of felt bad for her.Who in their right mind would even think of doing this in her situation.My husband works flippin hard and makes not bad money,we have 2 kids and no pets.I wouldnt even dream of taking our (not the goverments)money and doing this.I definately have more pride then to advertise in the newpaper that if and when those puppies get to the airport i would need to pawn my rings for gas money.Hope her kids make better choices in life than that.
I completely agree!! I have nothing against the fact that she has 6 kids and so it would be more expensive for her to work than to stay home with her children and be on welfare, O.K, not everyone thinks before they act, obviously, but using that money to buy things they don't need, and would actually increase their expenses, just makes no sense!! When I first saw this post I felt bad too but I was imagining a single older lady who just wanted to have pets to keep her company, but when I found out that she had 6 children and pets, that's when I felt no sympathy at all.
Old 03-12-2009

That woman is dumb..... if she was to actually get the dogs the seller would have already known they had to be crated to go on a plane as they do travel in with the luggage. These crates would have been provided by the seller also and believe me it would not have taken that much money for their food. All you do is put in enough dry food to do them until they get here and the workers on board will water them. I brought my dog home from Kuwait with me, 30 hour trip, 2 bowls of food, clean bill of health for app. $300. If it was all legit this would have all been included in the asking price. Definitely a scam!!!! Anyone can get pics of adorable puppies and try to sell them. She needs her head examined. Paid all this money but yet had to pawn rings to get money for gas to the airport. And her on welfare.... well that is another whole story.................What are her kids getting to eat if she had to pawn those rings for the sake of the non-existent dogs????
Old 03-12-2009

!!

Last edited by asco11; 03-12-2009 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Don't care anymore...
Old 03-12-2009

Sounds to me like she's not playing with a full deck..but that's just my humble opinion.
Old 03-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
That woman is dumb..... if she was to actually get the dogs the seller would have already known they had to be crated to go on a plane as they do travel in with the luggage. These crates would have been provided by the seller also and believe me it would not have taken that much money for their food. All you do is put in enough dry food to do them until they get here and the workers on board will water them. I brought my dog home from Kuwait with me, 30 hour trip, 2 bowls of food, clean bill of health for app. $300. If it was all legit this would have all been included in the asking price. Definitely a scam!!!! Anyone can get pics of adorable puppies and try to sell them. She needs her head examined. Paid all this money but yet had to pawn rings to get money for gas to the airport. And her on welfare.... well that is another whole story.................What are her kids getting to eat if she had to pawn those rings for the sake of the non-existent dogs????
I think you got a few posts mixed up.
Old 03-12-2009

Do flights even come into the Saint John Airport at 4am?? I've lived out there my whole life and always thought the last flight was no later than 1am unless it's delayed. LOL
Old 03-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
I know!! and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that she was not educated, LOL. Seriously though she gets all this money a month, more than the average family, and still says she was going to pawn off rings to pay for gas to pick up these dogs, than what?? wait for next months check before she feeds her kids?? Some people!!
Old 03-13-2009

Sorry but I have no sympathy for this idiot!

We (the taxpayers) are the ones being scammed!

And the fact that she had no qualms about going to the media with this assinine story, makes her even more of an idiot!
Old 03-13-2009

Even "low income" people can be scammed via the Internet! The site that allows these Nigerian scammers/fraudsters to continue to operate needs to be more vigilante in removing these posts!