This Grinds my Gears! Local Topics

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > Local Topics

Old 03-13-2009
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Default Topic: This Grinds my Gears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly Bean View Post
Even "low income" people can be scammed via the Internet! The site that allows these Nigerian scammers/fraudsters to continue to operate needs to be more vigilante in removing these posts!
It's not about a "low income" person being scammed...It's about a person on welfare WASTING over $2000.00 of her childrens money (and the taxpayers)on two dogs. This person is a bigger fraud then the people defrauding her!
Old 03-13-2009
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Diddy View Post
It's not about a "low income" person being scammed...It's about a person on welfare WASTING over $2000.00 of her childrens money (and the taxpayers)on two dogs. This person is a bigger fraud then the people defrauding her!
The article was pertaining to internet fraud. The money sent was over a period of aprox. 7 months. People posting have turned it into a "welfare" mom thread.Would you think any different if it was a senior citizen or a 17 year old? What if you didn't know this womans financial history? Geeze when did it become OK to blame the victim of a crime? Or is it only OK if the person is on welfare? Gosh, I can't believe how judgemental people can be!
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
The article was pertaining to internet fraud. The money sent was over a period of aprox. 7 months. People posting have turned it into a "welfare" mom thread.Would you think any different if it was a senior citizen or a 17 year old? What if you didn't know this womans financial history? Geeze when did it become OK to blame the victim of a crime? Or is it only OK if the person is on welfare? Gosh, I can't believe how judgemental people can be!

I sure would feel bad for a senior citizen, or a 17 year old...as long as they didn't use tax payers dollars to purchase over $2000 worth of dogs! And I don't care if it was over one month or over 200 months, she still spent her childrens money...... which is also yours (if you pay taxes) and mine, and everybody elses! After reading that story, and knowing the facts, you can honestly tell me you "feel sorry" for her!..........well I think you missed the boat on this one!
Old 03-13-2009

Jilly Bean, if you read the first post for this thread, it's mostly about the mother being on welfare and being able to spend $2000 on dogs. Not about people who buy dogs and get ripped off. The whole point of this thread is to discuss how it is extremely innapropiate for a mother of 6 on welfare to buy two dogs with $2000 of her childrens money. If you think the topic of conversation should be how people buy dogs and get ripped off, maybe you should start your own thread, because this is clearly not what this thread is about. Of course it would be different if it were a teenager or a senior if they were not on welfare. The whole point of this thread is that she is on welfare, she has 6 children and she is spending her childrens money foolishly when it could be put on way more important things like savings for their education. Absoutley disgusting behaviour if you ask me.
I wonder if she even realizes what a fool she has made of herself?
Old 03-13-2009

donteatrawpotatoes: what do you mean I got a few posts mixed up? The info I am referring to came from the newspaper and I thought was the same one as everyone else was talking about!!!!!
Old 03-13-2009

Very well said krista25. I think jillybean will be in a very low percentage of the population who feel sorry for this lady.
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
donteatrawpotatoes: what do you mean I got a few posts mixed up? The info I am referring to came from the newspaper and I thought was the same one as everyone else was talking about!!!!!
I meant to agree with you , but I had two separate posts open at the same time in different forums. -blush- I'm sorry! I posted the wrong one in this thread
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Very well said krista25. I think jillybean will be in a very low percentage of the population who feel sorry for this lady.
I DO feel sorry for her (gets ready to be burned). Some people lack common sense, and I think she is one of them. It makes me sad that some things aren't taught that really really should be. Parents are failing their children, I can honestly say that my expectations when I moved out years ago with a child were nothing close to the reality. I ended up moving back with family for two months after only a year of living on my own. I NEVER saved my money, and only just recently took interest in my credit. We've started saving for our children's future and plan on educating them to the best of our abilities how to budget and the importance of education and healthy careers.
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista25 View Post
Jilly Bean, if you read the first post for this thread, it's mostly about the mother being on welfare and being able to spend $2000 on dogs. Not about people who buy dogs and get ripped off. The whole point of this thread is to discuss how it is extremely innapropiate for a mother of 6 on welfare to buy two dogs with $2000 of her childrens money. If you think the topic of conversation should be how people buy dogs and get ripped off, maybe you should start your own thread, because this is clearly not what this thread is about. Of course it would be different if it were a teenager or a senior if they were not on welfare. The whole point of this thread is that she is on welfare, she has 6 children and she is spending her childrens money foolishly when it could be put on way more important things like savings for their education. Absoutley disgusting behaviour if you ask me.
I wonder if she even realizes what a fool she has made of herself?
Maybe you should take the time to read the write up in the newspaper, I think someone kindly posted a link to make it even easier to access and read the article.
Fraud is fraud, a crime is a crime, whether the victim is a welfare mom or one of the Irvings.

Last edited by Jilly-Bean; 03-13-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Maybe you should take the time to read the write up in the newspaper, I think someone kindly posted a link to make it even easier to access and read the article.
Fraud is fraud, a crime is a crime, whether the victim is a welfare mom or one of the Irvings.

I did take the time to read the article, but like I said this thread is not about fraud. This thread is about a mother of 6 on welfare and spending that money on dogs rather then her childrens future or something equally as important. I personally feel that "what goes around comes around" and it looks good on her. The only people I feel sorry for are the children involved.
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Did anybody else read the article in todays paper about the lady who lost over $2000.00 after making a deal on another web site to purchase two bull dogs. Well, as it turns out this lady has six children and is receiving welfare (and believe me I'm not knocking people on welfare, because only by the grace of God go I), but if she has $2000.00 to spend on buldog puppies......should she really be receiving goverment money? And then she has the audacity to go to the media about being "Ripped Off"......who's ripping off who here?.....I'm sorry , but she is not getting any sympthy from me, and I for one hope that the department of social services gets wind of that story and investigates her. She even states in the article that she "took the money from her children to buy these dogs"!
Here is the first post K25. A crime (not being ripped off) was commited against a women that happens to be on welfare. As I said is it less of a crime because she is on welfare?
Old 03-13-2009

I started this post, and I wasn't talking about the fraud, I was looking for feedback on what people really thought of a person who openly admitted that "she is on welfare, has a very limited income, had taken the money from her children", and spent over $2000.00 on trying to secure not one, but two bulldog puppies......BTW...pure breed bulldog puppies with papers and pedigree usually go for around $4500.00 US. each, that should have been her first clue. I seen that ad, and anyone with half a brain could see right through it! I also took the time to email the article to a supervisor at the department of family services, stating that if this case is not looked into, I will also be going to the media. I am not a trouble maker by any means, but this has to be dealt with in the propper channels...it amounts to down right THEFT from you and from me, but from most of all from six innocent children. who I'm sure didn't ask for the bulldogs. It's moms own wants and greed that has cast a negitive light on her and her careless actions!

Last edited by T-Diddy; 03-13-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Old 03-13-2009

I don't think anyone is saying that the crime isn't horrible. It would really suck to be ripped off, it's just that this particular thread is about her spending money that should be going to other, more important things. Money she may otherwise not have had if it wasn't for having 6 children and being on welfare. Money that everyone else on here that has a job is paying for.......
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista25 View Post
I did take the time to read the article, but like I said this thread is not about fraud. This thread is about a mother of 6 on welfare and spending that money on dogs rather then her childrens future or something equally as important. I personally feel that "what goes around comes around" and it looks good on her. The only people I feel sorry for are the children involved.
Actually, the thread was pertaining to the article in the paper which happens to be about of a victim of fraud who happens to be on assistance. You and I may not agree with the way she spends her money, but that's not our business or anyone else's for that matter. And It was not $2000 all at once it was in increment's over a period of time. It still all boils down to someone being victimized, and frauded. If her financial situation had been left unknown, then I'm sure there would have been a sympathy thread.
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
I started this post, and I wasn't talking about the fraud, I was looking for feedback on what people really thought of a person who openly admitted that "she is on welfare, has a very limited income, had taken the money from her children", and spent over $2000.00 on trying to secure not one, but two bulldog puppies......BTW...pure breed bulldog puppies with papers and pedigree usually go for around $4500.00 US. each, that should have been her first clue. I seen that ad, and anyone with half a brain could see right through it! I also took the time to email the article to a supervisor at the department of family services, stating that if this case is not looked into, I will also be going to the media. I am not a trouble maker by any means, but this has to be dealt with in the propper channels...it amount to down right THEFT from you and from me, but from most of all from six innocent children. I'm sure they didn't ask for the bulldogs, it's moms own wants and greed that has cast a negitive light on her and her careless actions!
How is it theft from you. It was her assistance cheque not your's, get over yourself!! Just because taxpayers money makes the cheque doesn't mean they decide how it is spent.

Last edited by livkat; 03-13-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
How is it theft from you. It was her assistance cheque not your's, get over yourself!! Just because taxpayers money makes the cheque doesn't mean they decide how it is spent.
It's theft from all taxpayers, when the monies are not used properly. If you want to buy 100 dogs, I really don't care, But get a job! Don't use the money that is being given to you, and that is meant to support your family (in this case a mother with 6 children all under the age of 11) while you are going through hard times! I know a few single moms on welfare and I know that after they pay their bills and put food on the table, there is very little left over for extras. One of whom even told my wife that she could save for ten years and still not be able to come up with $2000.00 extra......you do the math. livkat thats fine that your alright with it....but it's everything thats wrong with the system.

Last edited by T-Diddy; 03-13-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
It's theft from all taxpayers, when the monies are not used properly. If you want to buy 100 dogs, I really don't care, But get a job! Don't use the money that is meant to support your family while you are going through hard times!
The family had a roof over there head, food in there belly's, it's not your's nor anyone else's buisness how the rest of the money is spent. We also don't know why this women is on assistance, there are many just reason's. So don't jump and say get a job before you know the whole story.
Old 03-13-2009

If she can take care of six kids and the multiple animals she already has there can't be too much wrong with her......
Old 03-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by livkat View Post
The family had a roof over there head, food in there belly's, it's not your's nor anyone else's buisness how the rest of the money is spent. We also don't know why this women is on assistance, there are many just reason's. So don't jump and say get a job before you know the whole story.
Your surmizing......how do you know they had food, how do you know their rent was paid, how do you know they had heat and lights? Welfare is a hand up not a hand out! She stated herself that she "had to pawn her rings in order to get gas money to pick up the dogs". That tells me she had nothing left over! What if little johnny wanted to go on a school trip or to the movies with friends, or God forbid one of her children gets sick, and needs stuff that is not covered by a healthcard..........OOPPPS, sorry kids mommy spent all your money on more dogs that she now has to feed and take care of, not to mention vet bills.......wake-up!

Last edited by T-Diddy; 03-13-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 03-13-2009
**Bronze-Level** Paid Account

If the money she is given, is going towards the care and development of her children, then yes you are right, it is none of our business how she spends it, but when you start spending it on luxuries that most of us in the working class can't afford, it becomes a problem.

I am curious to know that when she told the reporter about being on assistance and living with her boyfriend if she thought that it would be off the record.

Based on the information that was provided in the article is the only way you can draw a conclusion. Therefore, based on that information she has a lot more excess funds than should be allotted someone who is on income assistance trying to sustain a family of 8, not to mention the existing pets.