T.V. Bingo General: Info & Help

i SJ: Saint John, New Brunswick  Shopping, Classifieds, Jobs, Real Estate & Rentals, Discussion, Deals, Flyers, + more!

Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online!
Click here to visit the forums main page -- iSaintJohn.com - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada online! See all recent posts Post a new ad / message Enhanced Features  Helpdesk
Business Advertising Sign-Up (Free!) Search
iSaintJohn Home Forums Home Contact Us Site Rules Terms of Use Privacy Statement

Visit the upgraded front page of iSJ for more info!

Free Saint John Visitor's Guide

Search the web:

Go Back   Saint John Classifieds & Forums > General & Local Discussion > General: Info & Help

Old 01-30-2010
Long-Time Member (500+ posts)

Talking Topic: Cross Border Shopping WARNING

Cross Border Shopping WARNING

Here is a bit of info for people going across the border shopping.

The border patrol is now asking anyone that cross's the border into Calis were they work in Canada i asked the border guy why all of a sudden they are asking that question, And they replied to catch people on unemployment who are leaving canada either on a trip or just to shop and this gets reported to Unemployment.

So if you cross the border and are on unemployment be prepared for the out come.
Old 01-30-2010
Member (100 to 500 posts)

Default Topic: Cross Border Shopping WARNING

Seems fishy to me? Why would the American guards give a crap who helps their economy. I cant imagine they take the time to report people on EI to the Canadian gov. I don't know what to make of that but it seems ridiculous. Its not like they can prove where you work. Someone on welfare could lie and say they worked for mcdonalds. Lord. Im shocked.
Old 01-30-2010

After 9/11 for a while they were asking for employment proof like a pay stub, id card, etc. Maybe they feel there is a threat at this time. Maybe because of the Olympics.
Old 01-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmasterV View Post
Here is a bit of info for people going across the border shopping.

The border patrol is now asking anyone that cross's the border into Calis were they work in Canada i asked the border guy why all of a sudden they are asking that question, And they replied to catch people on unemployment who are leaving canada either on a trip or just to shop and this gets reported to Unemployment.

So if you cross the border and are on unemployment be prepared for the out come.
Why would EI care???? Its not like welfare.
Old 01-30-2010

I just went to Calais today and they didn't ask me where I worked, just where I lived and where I was going...No problems going over or coming back....
Old 01-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
Why would EI care???? Its not like welfare.
EI would care because on your cards you submit it asks if you were eligible for work. If you lied and said yes but were found out to be on a 2 week vacation in florida (per say) they would then in fact have proof that you were not in fact eligible for work during that time period and dock you on your EI for that time period.
Old 01-31-2010

They've asked this before ... it just depends on what Border Patrol Agent you get.
Old 01-31-2010

EI definitely cares if you go on a trip: you are not available for work. Do they care if you go to Calais for the day or Bangor for the weekend? No.
Florida for 2 weeks, definitely.
HOWEVER, would the american border guards report anything to them? Never! They don't give a hoot about any Canadian institution.
They are all about stopping "evil doers" ;-)
Unless they are carrying bloody chainsaws, that is !?!
Frequently, people with no visible means of support who can afford to travel are up to no good. I spent a couple of hrs waiting for a buddy of mine several years back while they decided if his claim to be self employed was legit (It was, but who thinks to bring proof of that on vacation?). I have been asked where I worked a hundred times there I bet, it's just one of their qualifiers to weed out those who warrant more scrutiny.
Old 01-31-2010

I don't see why EI would care, unless you had a job lined up and claimed to not be able to work it because of something else and than it got reported to them that you were on a two week trip, but that would not be common. Are you sure it wasn't people on disability (DI) that they mentioned. If you are disabled (unable to work) but go on a two week trip hiking, shopping etc than that would make more sense for them to report. If you claim that you can't work and are getting money for not being able to work but are able to do those things than I can see Disbility wanting to know who is going where and what they are doing. There was a lady on facebook who lost her insurance because her insurance company found pictures online of her partying and having fun (she was on disablity for depression) I have shopped across the border on many occasions and I think most of the times I have gone I have been asked what I do so that is nothing new. It would be interesting to know how far insurance companies will go to save money though.
Old 02-01-2010

It comes down to the fact that if you are away even for a day, then you are not available for work and therefore EI would be interested. You are informed of this when you apply for EI.
Old 02-01-2010

However, the United States government doesn't care whether you are on EI or not so this doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 02-01-2010

Maybe because the border crossing is a partnership between our two countries.
Old 02-01-2010

I can't see that happening..that would take years of agreements etc..legislation etc....
Old 02-01-2010
Member (< 100 posts)

When you are on EI you are supposed to be actively searching for a job, not taking trips. I beleive it is somewhere in the fine print. I think you may have to ask special permission to leave the province you are drawing EI from. It was a long time ago but I beleive I took a trip ( 3days) while on EI and I remember telling them. I think eveything is telemated now? It is very petty of them to do this! That being said I do not shop cross border I think It is better to keep our money with us. But I am sure I could be swayed by a crazy deal lol.
Old 02-01-2010

Many many years ago I was studing to become a travel counsellor. Did you know that when you enter another country, they have a right to ask you where you work because legally to enter another country you can be made to verify that you have at least 500 dollars in the bank and/or a credit card with a certain amount available to you. If they really want to be nasty they can request a credit check.The reason for that is so you can provide for yourself while you are in that country and will not become a financial burden to that country. It was 500 dollars 20 years ago. I don't know what it is now. Crazy sounding but true. There are a LOT of laws but you seldom hear about them as they are seldom enforced or even mentioned when you venture outside of Canada. You'd be amazed at some of them.

Last edited by inuit; 02-02-2010 at 07:30 AM..
Old 02-02-2010

Thanks Inuit...that makes sense ..but it certainly doesn't make any sense at all for American Border guards to care whether you are receiving EI or not.
Old 02-02-2010

Sad but true that you can get refused entry to the USA without sufficient funds. A friend of mine left SJ by bus to go and visit her boyfriend for the weekend (in Maine). She just had $40 on her and was taken off the bus and sent back to SJ. She had no need for more money as she was going to have a place to stay as well as she doesn't smoke or drink, plus had went over several times before with no problems. She then had to sit in St. Stephen and wait for a drive to come and bring her back home. B*****. IMO it should not be any of their business where you work or whether you are on EI, Social Assistance, Disability, Pension, rich or poor we are still supposed to be a free country and as Canadians we should be allowed to cross into our neighboring country with NO HASSELS.

I suppose it could be worse.....No resident of Kuwait can leave the country unless he/she has at least $40,000 in their bank acct. If not....no travellers visa
Old 02-02-2010

Lightbulb Topic: Cross Border Shopping WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradorna View Post
Sad but true that you can get refused entry to the USA without sufficient funds. A friend of mine left SJ by bus to go and visit her boyfriend for the weekend (in Maine). She just had $40 on her and was taken off the bus and sent back to SJ. She had no need for more money as she was going to have a place to stay as well as she doesn't smoke or drink, plus had went over several times before with no problems. She then had to sit in St. Stephen and wait for a drive to come and bring her back home. B*****. IMO it should not be any of their business where you work or whether you are on EI, Social Assistance, Disability, Pension, rich or poor we are still supposed to be a free country and as Canadians we should be allowed to cross into our neighboring country with NO HASSELS.

I suppose it could be worse.....No resident of Kuwait can leave the country unless he/she has at least $40,000 in their bank acct. If not....no travellers visa

What I want to know is...all this BS that they keep doing to us Canadians, why won't our government (border patrol) on our side do the same thing back to those wanting to visit Canada ??? Just doesn't make any sense to me. Do the U.S. citizens have to show birth certificates and /or passports to come here now ??
Old 02-02-2010

The money issue is so you do not become indigent while in thier country and they have to come to your aide. I guess we become lax about travel issues with the U.S. because we live in such close proximity and travelling back and forth has become day to day travel. people who live in Europe are much more intercountry travel aware because of different requirements about travelling to different countries. We just assume we can skip across the border on a whim and we seldom consider the legal requirements of doing so. They are there though, whether we know them or not and there are a lot of laws about it. Most of which we never stop to consider. Your passport is not just to be allowed entry into another country. It is required to prove that you are a citizen of your country and to leave another country and to be allowed back into your own country. Some countries require a travel visa before you are even allowed in. A passport is usually enough to be allowed travel within the British commomwealth though. The U.S. is not a part of the British commonwealth though.

Last edited by inuit; 02-02-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseToTheGrind View Post
What I want to know is...all this BS that they keep doing to us Canadians, why won't our government (border patrol) on our side do the same thing back to those wanting to visit Canada ??? Just doesn't make any sense to me. Do the U.S. citizens have to show birth certificates and /or passports to come here now ??
As of June 1, 2009 anyone wanting to enter Canada from another country, including the US, needed to get a passport. Same with Canadians trying to enter the US. It was all over the news.